[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: One Big Push - 25 in 5 Weekly eBulletin - November 26th

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:36:26 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction <
25_in_5_Network_for_Poverty_Redu at mail.vresp.com>
Date: 2008/11/26
Subject: One Big Push - 25 in 5 Weekly eBulletin - November 26th
To: mocharebyl at gmail.com

 *Countdown to a Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS)
**One week to December deadline, one big push for 25 in 5*

   1. Quote of the week: we can no longer afford to ignore costs of poverty,
   says bank economist <#11dd92d679af5368_quote>
   2. Poverty costs Ontario billions per year, reveals new
study<#11dd92d679af5368_Costs>
   3. Clergy urge Finance Minister to remember the poor in pre-budget
   consultations <#11dd92d679af5368_Clergy>
   4. 25-city tour promotes "Leadership in Hard Times" for poverty
reduction<#11dd92d679af5368_Tour>
   5. Young People with disabilities develop 25 in 5
Blueprint<#11dd92d679af5368_young>
   6. The right way to stimulate: poverty reduction key to addressing
   economic crisis <#11dd92d679af5368_stimulate>
   7. Little progress on child poverty, threat increasing, says Campaign
   2000 report <#11dd92d679af5368_ChildPoverty>
   8. Workers need help now, say 1,000 voices at Good Jobs Summit in
Toronto<#11dd92d679af5368_goodjobs>
   9. TAKE ACTION: Three ways to make a difference on poverty
reduction<#11dd92d679af5368_3ways>
   10. And finally, the Five Tests for Assessing
PRS<#11dd92d679af5368_fivetests>

------------------------------
*Quote of the week*

"Poverty is a personal tragedy for everybody it afflicts. That alone
justifies action.  However, the case to fight poverty is further
strengthened if poverty is costly not only to those directly affected but
society more generally. The [societal] cost is so large that substantial
efforts are warranted to fight it."

*Who said it?* Don Drummond, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist for
TD Bank Financial Group, commenting on results from a new study that show
poverty costs the federal and provincial governments up to $13 billion a
year in lost revenues.

Read the press release<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/a6eebefe52>or
the final
report<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/937d8e2ff0>

------------------------------

*Poverty costs Ontario billions per year, reveals new study *

A landmark study by Ontario's food banks reveals that poverty has a price
tag of up to $13 billion per year in lost revenues for federal and
provincial government.

*From the Toronto
Star<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/9cd167f2e8>
:* "It's vital that Premier Dalton McGuinty's government heed this message
as it puts the finishing touches on its poverty reduction strategy.

Every day that we delay tackling the crisis costs us more. Poverty leads to
social assistance costs, unhealthy families, children who do poorly in
school, and untrained adults stuck in low-paying jobs, while high-skill jobs
go unfilled.

The challenge, particularly now when the cupboard is rather bare, is that
the investments come first and the savings later. By quantifying the total
cost of poverty – it's up to $38 billion a year, when all factors are
combined – this report should give politicians the impetus they've been
lacking."

Check out the final
report<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/5cc97bd04e>

*Media Coverage*:

   - Poverty carries $38B price tag:
study<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/458d8012b7/id=5f9b42ce-eb99-4cce-a1fa-2b2d09c4f662>Ottawa
Citizen, Nov 21
   - Everyone pays the province's $38 billion
cost<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/1475c549ef>Toronto
Star,  Nov 20
   - Poverty costs Ontario $38b a year Hamilton
Spectator<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/789cbe3a7d>,
   Nov 20
   - Not addressing poverty's root causes costing Ontario $13B annually:
   study<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/a5d3592e9d>CBC,
Nov 20

------------------------------

*Clergy urge finance minister to remember the poor*

"While we all have a role to play in reducing poverty, only government can
launch the large-scale programs and policies essential for successful
poverty reduction. Only government can re-allocate the resources of society
more fairly through taxes and increased funding for affordable housing."

Bishop Colin R. Johnson, Diocese of Toronto, Anglican Church of Canada, Public
Service Ad in the Toronto Star, November 18,
2008<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/9740b01124/navid=78&fid3=1016&layid=18&fid2=-888>

*From the Toronto Star:* "Toronto Anglican Bishop Colin Johnson will be at
Queen's Park today, urging provincial politicians to remember the poor as
they look for a way out of current economic troubles.

The Canadian Islamic Congress has likewise called for more affordable
housing, lower education costs, increased child tax benefits to low-income
and working-poor families, tax cuts for low-income families and a plan to
end homelessness.

In his presentation to Duncan, Johnson will call for strong measures to help
the poor in the next provincial budget, expected in the spring, including a
"decent, livable minimum wage" and programs for better dental and drug
benefits, housing and support for people moving off social assistance."

Read more from the Toronto Star
coverage<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/904ebea966>

------------------------------

*Little progress on child poverty, threat increasing*

760,000 children live in poverty in Canada, according to Campaign 2000
report

A provincial report released by Ontario Campaign 2000 says the province's
child poverty level is stubbornly high at 11.8 per cent and will get far
worse if the province plunges into a recession.

According to Jacquie Maund, co-ordinator of Ontario Campaign 2000, "Now,
more than ever, we need governments to make a solid financial down payment
on a comprehensive poverty reduction plan."

The report shows 324,000 Ontario children are living in poverty, with the
average low-income family living $7,100 below the poverty line.

*What can YOU do to support this message?*

Take 2 minutes and go to
www.campaign2000.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/61f8b80fa0>to
send an email message the Prime Minister & Opposition Leaders by
following the link to the Make Poverty History site.

------------------------------

*Leadership in Hard Times: 25 in 5 on tour to promote a realistic and
achievable poverty reduction plan*

The 25 in 5 Network is in the midst of a 25-stop provincial tour to promote
a realistic and achievable plan that would make Ontario a leader in poverty
reduction.

The six-week "Leadership in Hard Times: 25 in 5's Tour to Promote Poverty
Reduction" was released a week ago at a 25 in 5 Summit in Toronto, just
weeks before the Ontario government announces its poverty reduction
strategy.  More than 100 leaders in the poverty reduction campaign from more
than 25 communities across Ontario came together in Toronto to map out a
common strategy for making gins on poverty reduction.

The coalition's consultation document, A Blueprint for Poverty Reduction:
Leadership in Hard Times, proposes specific steps to reduce poverty by 25%
within the next 5 years. It argues that action on a poverty reduction plan
is especially necessary in tough economic times, identifies the various
policy tools that are at Ontario's disposal to tackle poverty, and proposes
a set of specific, multi-year steps to achieve the goal of 25 in 5.

Details of the tour and upcoming dates are available on the
povertywatchontario.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/68b42d0cf3>website.

 On the road towards poverty reduction… community reports

   - *Sudbury, November 12*. About 20 community leaders in Sudbury engaged
   in a discussion of the Blueprint.  The group included low income advocates,
   City of Greater Sudbury civic officials including a city councilor,
   representatives of the mayor's office and the social services
   administration, community service leaders, public health officials, members
   of several local school boards, labour, academia and others.
   - *North Bay, November 13*. The Blueprint was discussed with the North
   Bay Provincial Poverty Reduction Working Group at a lunch meeting and
   presented in the evening to a community gathering that included Liberal MPP
   Monique Smith at the Annual meeting of the North Bay Social Planning Council
   in the evening, where local Liberal MPP Monique Smith was in attendance.
   - *Parry Sound-Burk's Falls, November 14*. Marvyn Novick, Peter
   Clutterbuck and Mike Balkwill brought the Blueprint to a meeting of social
   and health professionals, civic officials including town councilors, and
   faith leaders, and local citizens in Parry Sound with a video-conference
   tie-in to a small group in Burk's Falls.
   - *Bracebridge, November 14*. The Blueprint road show moved on from Parry
   Sound to Bracebridge in the afternoon of November 14, where more than 40
   people from the service, faith, civic, health and education community
   attended the presentation.
   - *Sault Ste. Marie, November 15*.  Mike Balkwill working with the SPNO
   on the 25 in 5 cross-community campaign presented the main elements of the
   Blueprint at a forum on homelessness in Sault Ste. Marie.
   - *Cornwall, November 19*.  About 50 people attended the forum, local
   city councilors, the local medical officer of health, teachers and students.
   Students from the St Lawrence Intermediate School who had participated in a
   Poem Contest in October read their poems on a "Life without Poverty".
   Following the Blueprint presentation, discussion ranged from what people
   could do to reduce poverty at the local level to the important role of the
   Federal Government.
   - *Belleville, November 20*.  More than 100 community members attended an
   afternoon presentation of the Blueprint by Marvyn Novick in the Belleville
   Public Library.

 For details on the times, dates and locations of the remaining 17 meetings
in the Blueprint tour, see the calendar at www.povertywatchontario.ca

*Selected Media Coverage:*

   - Reducing the cycle of
poverty<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/0882661d34/e=1297244>,
   Welland Tribune, Nov 14
   - Poverty can be beaten, if steps taken:
advocate<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/34926ad707/e=1310891>Belleville
Intelligencer, Nov 23
   - Anti-poverty group unveiling 5-year
plan<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/d0aa9e3f26>Hamilton
Spectator, Nov 20
   - Development Council to unveil
'blueprint'<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/5f74baed28/e=1303221>,
   Cornwall Standard Freeholder, Nov 19
   - Poverty reduction must be provincial priority:
Novick<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/f06435cc4e/e=1305256>,
   Standard Freeholder, Nov 20
   - Poverty warriors
meet<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/35ad14b354/e=1281400>,
   Pembroke Daily Observer, Nov 5
   - Meeting to address affordable
housing<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/0c11b1099b/e=1284917>,
   Belleville Intelligencer, Nov 7
   - Meeting focused on
poverty-reduction<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/188705c8ee/e=1282092>The
North Bay Nugget, Nov 5

------------------------------

*Young People with disabilities Submit Declaration in Solidarity with 25 in
5*

Three young people with intellectual disabilities attended and actively
participated in the Leadership Forum on Poverty Reduction held in Toronto on
November 17.

Cathy Lemon, Kenny Freeman, and Veronica Peake, all partners in a small
catering enterprise called Lemon & Allspice – The Coffee Shed, framed their
own declaration on poverty reduction in solidarity with the 25 in 5
Network.

To view their declaration see
www.povertywatchontario.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/0962c80122>

------------------------------

*The right way to stimulate: poverty reduction key to addressing economic
crisis*

Toronto Star columnist Tom Walkom writes, "I'm not sure that governments
understand the nature of this slump. In fact, when Ontario Premier Dalton
McGuinty talks of putting off anti-poverty measures until the economy
improves, or federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty muses about selling the
CN Tower, I'm convinced they don't get it.

Because for this country in this recession, income maintenance – ensuring
that enough people have money to spend – is key to resolving the crisis.

It means, among other things, moving forward on anti-poverty measures – not
just because it's a nice thing to do, but because, in a serious economic
downturn, it's crucial that as many as possible have money to spend.  It
also means moving forward on efforts to raise wages and purchasing power –
from hiking the minimum wage to encouraging unionization.

Related Links

   - Governments can use crisis to repair and rebuild infrastructure while
   fighting poverty, says economist Armine Yalnizyan, Toronto Star,
Nov 17<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/11762b03c6>
   - Ontarians waiting for leadership on poverty reduction, says new
   Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
poll<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/6dcd681a18/pa=BB736455>
   - Public investment in affordable housing delivers powerful benefits,
   Michael Shapcott, Wellesley
Institute<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/9d31c56a32>
   - Economic crisis no excuse to abandon anti-poverty fight, Opinion
   article by economists Arthur Donner, Mike McCracken and Armine Yalnizyan in
   Toronto Star, October
21<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/ebbb87605c>

------------------------------
*Workers need help now, say 1,000 voices at Good Jobs Summit in Toronto *

>From the Toronto Star "A pushback started here yesterday. Fed up with
disappearing work, lax employment standards and poor wages, almost 1,000
local union and social activists began a major offensive to change public
policy so good paying long-term jobs are created in the Greater Toronto
Area.

"We are going to challenge those in power," John Cartwright, president of
the Toronto and York Region Labour Council, told the Good Jobs For All
summit at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre yesterday."

Read more from the Toronto Star
coverage<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/d6d6c62d64>

------------------------------

*One week to go: 3 Ways to Make a Difference*

"While we all have a role to play in reducing poverty, only government can
launch the large-scale programs and policies essential for successful
poverty reduction. Only government can re-allocate the resources of society
more fairly through taxes and increased funding for affordable housing."

Bishop Colin R. Johnson, Diocese of Toronto, Anglican Church of Canada, Public
Service Ad in the Toronto Star, November 18,
2008<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/bc9a9739b5/navid=78&fid3=1016&layid=18&fid2=-888>

*1. Sign Up and Speak Up for Poverty Reduction at Pre-Budget Consultations*

*The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs*

The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs is the all-party
committee that consults Ontarians annually on budget priorities – it is
critical that this committee hears the 25in5 message: Ontario needs a
downpayment  on poverty reduction in the 2009 budget. That means new dollars
for programs that will make a tangible difference in people's lives.

Organizations should call 416-325-3883 to find out how they can get
involved.

*Finance Minister Dwight Duncan Consultations*

Ontario's Finance Minister has launched a round of cross-provincial
consultations to inform the 2009 spring budget. Dates available now in:
Thunder Bay - Dec 1, Sudbury and Sault St. Marie – Dec 12.  We need partners
to commit to sign up and speak up for poverty reduction before the Finance
Minister. Click
here<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/11874bb087>to
see more details and to find out how you can get involved.

*2. Speak up for poverty reduction and why our Economy Needs a Poverty
Reduction Strategy Now*

As Ontario edges closer to the announcement of a Poverty Reduction Plan, it
is more important than ever that we all speak up for poverty reduction.
>From every voicemail, phone call, letter and email to our local MPP, to a
passionate plea at our community center for signing the 25 in 5 Declaration,
to that letter we have always wanted to write to our local newspaper… NOW IS
THE TIME TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD! Learn more
here.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/a3bc5754ad>

*3. Join the Movement for Poverty Reduction in Your Community*

Anti-poverty networks in 25 communities will be meeting in November and
December as part of the "Leadership in Hard Times: 25 in 5's Tour to Promote
Poverty Reduction," to get ready for the next stage of the Poverty Reduction
campaign.  Now is the time to talk about our expectations of the
government's plan in December and to begin to organize our collective voice
leading up to the 2009 spring budget in Ontario. Details on times and
locations is available
here.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/846e3645bf>

------------------------------
*And finally, the Five Tests for assessing the PRS*

The five tests against which 25 in 5 will measure the government's plan in
December;

   1. It must include a target to reduce poverty by 25% over 5 years;
   2. There must be an income measure of poverty so we can track progress on
   the target;
   3. There must be clear policies to ensure sustaining employment, livable
   incomes, and strong communities;
   4. It must include accountability measures to keep it on track; and
   5. There must be a financial downpayment in the 2009-10 budget.

 Read more details
here.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/98f9eb792e>

------------------------------

*About the Countdown to a Poverty Reduction Plan eBulletins*

 The 25 in 5 Network is steered by a coalition of Ontario organizations
including Campaign 2000, the Income Security Advocacy Centre, the Social
Planning Network of Ontario the Interfaith Social Assistance Reform
Coalition, The Colour of Poverty Project, the Ontario Coalition for Social
Justice, Voices From the Street, among others.

 This is a weekly bulletin from 25 in 5 to its contact list of supporters
and interested parties across the province. The Countdown Bulletin is
intended to keep you up to date on the development of a poverty reduction
plan for Ontario and to let you know how you, your organizations and
networks can help make it happen.

 For more information visit
www.25in5.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/dc5e3ffa23/eb46af6dad/e896c3bd65/CSPCT/7fd6d870cc/a53c86dbe7/25707a9dce>

25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction
c/o Community Social Planning Council of Toronto
2 Carlton St., Suite 1001
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3

Read <http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html> the
VerticalResponse marketing policy.
[image: Non-Profits Email Free with
VerticalResponse!]<http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/non-profits/?np/dc5e3ffa23>

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a