[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: {ODSPAction} Re: McGuinty saying economic woes may delay poverty agenda

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:53:40 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jennefer Laidley <laidleyj at lao.on.ca>
Date: Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM
Subject: {ODSPAction} Re: McGuinty saying economic woes may delay poverty
agenda
To: odspaction at googlegroups.com

 For your info, the following press release has been issued from 25 in 5 in
response to the Premier's comments today:

Media Release

*Economic road bumps no excuse to slow down on poverty reduction*

*TORONTO, 16 September 2008* – A coalition of over 100 organizations across
Ontario are urging Premier Dalton McGuinty to follow through on his promise
to actively and comprehensively address poverty in this province.

 "The threat of an economic downturn makes leadership on poverty reduction
more important than ever," said 25 in 5 spokesperson Jacquie Maund, of
Ontario Campaign 2000. "And it's a signal that we can't afford to delay
implementation of a plan."

Responding to Premier McGuinty's comments today in which he suggested
economic conditions may delay the implementation of a provincial Poverty
Reduction Strategy, the 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction said investing
in poverty reduction now is smart economic policy, and decisive action is
especially necessary in an ailing economy.

"We know public investments can provide a critical booster shot to stimulate
economic activity in hard times," said Maund. "That's why we're calling for
a significant down-payment on poverty reduction in the 2009 budget, with
larger investments phased-in over the five year life of the plan."

 25 in 5 says Ontario families are looking for political leadership on
poverty, as a report released by Poverty Watch Ontario last week clearly
demonstrated.

 "As the Premier himself has said, we need all hands on deck. If we are
going to ride out this slowdown and remain competitive we need everyone at
their best – we must support Ontario families through job losses, reductions
in hours of work, and other financial stresses," said Janet Gasparini, Chair
of the Social Planning Network of Ontario. "We can pay now or we can pay
later with increased health care, criminal justice, and social services
costs."

 The 25 in 5 Network advocates a bold, multi-year plan focused on three
areas of action: ensuring sustaining employment, so that people who work
don't live in poverty; reforming social assistance, so that people who can't
work get the support they need; and providing for strong community supports,
to give opportunity and inclusion to all.

"The time to act is now, and we expect the Premier to introduce the
government's plan, including clear targets and timelines to deliver
measurable results, by December of this year," said Gasparini. "That's
political leadership, and we hope Premier McGuinty lives up to his promise."

For more information see www.25in5.ca.

– 30 –

Media Contact:      Jacquie Maund at 416-595-9230 x 241

                                 Janet Gasparini at 705-675-3894 or cell
705-929-0288