[homeles_ot-l] June 10th Council votes on housing & homelessness motion - can you help?

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Wed Jun 3 17:12:05 EDT 2009

To Homelessness & Housing Listserv Members:

On June 10th, Ottawa Council will vote on the motion to integrate
residential homeless services and housing supports, existing social housing
and affordable housing planning under a new position of Manager for Housing.
The motion was approved by the Community and Protective Services Committee
three days ago.

Please help show community support for the motion. A good way to do that is
by sending letters of support to all Council members.

We have already asked our agency members to help but we think a great many
letters will be needed.

1.       Please send your letter by email by this Friday if possible.

–   But do not forward this email.  There is a sample letter below you can
copy and paste or adapt with your comments in your email. You can send a
personal letter under your own name or one on behalf of your agency or
organization if that’s appropriate.
–   It can be sent as an attachment (on letterhead, if that’s appropriate)
or in the body of your email message.

2.       Send it to all Councillors & ‘cc’ senior administrators. The email
list to copy and paste follows the sample letter below.

We thank you in advance for helping. A quick message to me that you’ve sent
a letter will be much appreciated by the Steering Committee.

Lynne Browne, on behalf of the ATEH Steering Committee

147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7, 613-241-7913, ext. 205

1. Sample Letter  –

Dear Ottawa Councillors:

I urge you to support the motion from the Community and Protective Services
Committee to re-integrate residential homeless services and housing
supports, existing social housing and affordable housing planning under a
new position of Manager for Housing within Community and Protective Services
when it comes before Council.

It is very important to bring all three aspects of City of Ottawa’s
affordable housing and homelessness efforts are back under one Manager in a
dedicated Housing Department. The three areas are:

*         Residential support services such as domiciliary hostels and
homelessness services and the implementation of the federal Homelessness
Partnership Initiative’s capital and services funding;

*         Existing social housing and emergency shelters; and

*         Development and planning of new affordable housing.

Last year 7,045 individuals stayed in emergency shelters for nearly two
months on average and there are 9,692 households on the social housing
waiting list. Clearly, we need more leadership and capacity building!

I am convinced that Ottawa needs to concentrate administrative leadership
and capacity building in a Housing Department to do better at meeting our
community’s need for affordable housing, supportive housing and homeless
services and supports.

Sincerely,

(Sign with your name)

2. Council email list to copy and paste