[homeles_ot-l] Call for Affordable Housing Champion - Open letter to Ottawa's City Council

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Mon May 4 11:26:23 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Please read the attached letter delivered to City Councillors today. On
behalf of The Alliance to End Homelessness, the Steering Committee has
decided to act on concerns about the impact of the organizational changes at
City Hall on affordable housing and homelessness. We encourage you to speak
about the messages in the letter whenever you have contact with Council
members.

Residential and Support Services for homeless people has been split into two
divisions which will make working with the City harder for homeless people
and agencies who work to help them. At the same time, Ottawa’s new structure
has a reduced capacity to create new affordable housing – just as other
orders of government are making funds available. We intend to request a time
to appear before the Community and Protective Services Committee and the
Planning and Environment Committee, as it is our understanding that they
will be considering the impact of the new organizational structure. We will
let you know the meeting dates. It will be very helpful if your agency or
group could also come out to speak on this matter.

Thank you,

Lynne

Attached: An Open Letter to Ottawa Council

Calling on Council to Champion Affordable Housing and Homelessness

Re: City Affordable Housing and Homelessness Efforts in Disarray

147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7

613-241-7913, ext. 205

HYPERLINK "http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/"www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca

Checked by AVG.