[homeles_ot-l] Special Diet non-crisis

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 01:18:33 EST 2010

There have been several panic email alerts from, among others, the 25-in-5 Network and ISAC asking people to send letters, emails, etc. to various politicians including your local MPP and a list of ministers. The subject line of the 25-in-5 email reads:
Special Diet Program in Peril: Take Action Now
Their email alert and my response to them are copied below. Essentially they have asked people to respond en masse to a) their assessment, with no factual backgound given, that the government "seems to be thinking about scrapping the program" and b) a "rumour" that the special diet will be cut. They also refer to the Minister's response to a question in the House when she said, eight working days after a Tribunal decision was released, that her ministry was studying the decision and hadn't decided how it will respond to it yet.

None of that falls within my dictionary's definition of 'peril' or requires all-caps.

I'm not a politician but I've spent a lot of time with them. Two things really annoy them and are likely to turn them off your issue. They are 1) mass letter/email/phone campaigns where they get copies of the same email/letter/phone call word-for-word with no content from the sender and 2) 'panic-stations' campaigns that are either not based in fact or are in response to minor issues.

I would hope that people will carefully evaluate the request to react to a rumour and a suggestion that the government "seems to be thinking" about doing something. The government has committed to a review of all social assistance programs, including the Special Diet, as part of the Poverty Reduction Strategy. My understanding is that there will be an opportunity to respond to concrete proposals as part of the Review.

I feel a bit like I'm telling folks to leave the government alone which is an abnormal and uncomfortable position for me as many of you will know. But I believe it is really important that we direct our energies and organizing efforts in ways that are focussed, efficient and based on facts. As I said to 25-in-5, their overblown "Program in Peril" subject line brought echoes of Chicken Little and Peter yelling that the sky is falling and the wolf is on the way.

We need responsible responses to government actions or proposals that we can rally people around with clear, reliable background information and solid recommendations. Going off at half-cock doesn't serve our interests in the long run.

Linda Lalonde.

(Message to 25-in-5)
Hi folks,

Go outside and look up, please. The sky is NOT falling!!

When you send out something saying a program is in "Peril" and I should "Take Action Now", I expect there is a serious and immediate threat to the program. So when I read later in the email (with no capital letters) that there is "a rumour" and the government "seems to be thinking about" scrapping the program, I hear Chicken Little and his friend Peter coming down the street yelling that the sky is falling and the wolf is on the way.

What are you going to put in the subject line if the government actually announces they are cutting the program? And how will you rally the troops if they've already jumped on their MPP's, etc. based on a rumour?

Some of us met with Madeleine Meilleur in January and, yes, she told us that the special diet will be looked at in the Social Assistance Review process. It will be on the table along with everything else - which is how a thorough review should operate.

So let's all calm down and work through this process in a way that is likely to produce some useful results by organizing, based on solid information, around real threats.

Linda Lalonde.
(speaking as a private citizen)