[homeles_ot-l] Donation Tax Credit for Farmers

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 13:27:55 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I received this today from the Ontario Association of Food Banks. They are asking the province to include in the budget a tax deduction for farmers who donate their produce to food programs.

In some situations, it would cost the farmer more to harvest a crop and get it to market than he or she would make when it's sold. They then end up plowing the crop under meaning they get no money and nobody eats the food. If they could get a tax deduction for the value of the crop, they would be more likely to give it to the food programs which is a win-win for everyone.

The budget is coming out on March 25th. Please consider supporting this campaign. I would suggest if you do respond that you send it to the Ottawa area MPP's as well as the Premier and finance minister.

Thanks,

Linda.

P.S. I should declare my two possible conflicts of interest here - I sit on the board of a food program and I eat food! L.

Help make a final push for support before the provincial budget is announced in late March!

The clock is ticking. There are only a few weeks left before the provincial government releases its annual budget and growing season is right around the corner.
Send a message to Premier McGuinty now!
We need your help to make a final call to action for the implementation of a Farm Donation Tax Credit to support the donation of healthy, local food to families and food banks across the province. We know you understand the importance of this idea. Over 375,000 Ontarians turn to food banks every month, and yet millions of pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables are tilled back into the soil or send to landfill. The tax credit could have a powerfully positive impact on the health and well-being of hundreds of thousands of your neighbours.

We have already made it so far. Over 2,500 individuals and organizations have joined our cause to endorse the tax credit.  We have met with dozens of MPPs from all political parties. The message has been spread on radio, television, in print and online in media outlets across the province over the past year in Toronto, Hamilton, Thunder Bay, and Ottawa.

We are asking you to take a few moments to make one final push for support. Click here to send a message directly to Premier McGuinty and Finance Minister Dwight Duncan.

As always, thank you so much for your ongoing support. We can make a difference together.
Send a message now!

Visit our web site
Ontario Association of Food Banks (OAFB)
555 Bloor Street West, 2nd Floor, Toronto, ON M5S 1Y6
Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved