[homeles_ot-l] LongTerm Affordable Housing Strategy

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 10:44:05 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I have had some time to absorb the Housing Strategy that was released yesterday and have some questions.

How many people who are in need of affordable housing now will have suitable housing two years from now as a result of this Strategy? How about four years from now?

What specific measures will be taken over the next two and five years to improve the condition of existing affordable housing so that it is not only affordable but livable?

What specific measures will be taken over the next two and five years to reduce the number of Ontarians and/or Ottawans who have to turn to emergency shelters and hostels? What measures will be taken to reduce the length of stay for those individuals and families in shelters and hostels?

How many new funding dollars will be provided over each of the next five years to municipalities to construct new affordable housing? What percentage of that housing will be rent-geared-to-income as opposed to the almost-market-rent housing which has been funded recently?

How many families who are currently on the waiting list for affordable housing will still be there in five years because this Strategy will not have changed the quantity and quality of available affordable housing sufficiently to meet their needs?

A Long-Term Affordable Housing Strategy should have included the answers to these and other questions. Maybe they are included somewhere in the Strategy and accompanying materials and I somehow overlooked them. I'd like to think I missed them but unfortunately don't think I did.

Thanks,

Linda.