[homeles_ot-l] FW: Annual Rent Increase Announced at 3.1%

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Thu Aug 4 12:12:37 EDT 2011

FYI . . . Lynne Browne
613-241-7913, ext 205
lbrowne at ysb.on.ca <mailto:lbrowne at ysb.on.ca>
147 Besserer St., Ottawa ON  K1N 6A7
www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca <http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/>

________________________________

From: Rob MacDonald [mailto:robm at housinghelp.on.ca]
Sent: Tue 02/08/2011 9:31 AM
To: Rob MacDonald
Subject: Annual Rent Increase Announced at 3.1%

Hi, everyone,

The annual rent increase for 2012 has been announced and it is one of
the highest we have ever seen .  Landlords will be able to raise the
rent by a whopping 3.1% next year.  In spite of this landlords are
still complaining that they don't feel that it's enough(?).  Even the
unions don't get such great increases for their members.  According to
the Federation of Rental Housing Providers (FRPO)  saying it comes '
nowhere close to covering landlords' costs.'  I guess they forgot to
mention how landlords can raise the rent to whatever they want when
tenants vacate their units, as well as the cash grabs given to them in
Above Guideline Rent increase applications.

In anticipation of the provincial election, landlords have been
demanding a return to the old system of giving the landlords a 2%
bonus on top of the guideline.  If that system were in place today,
tenants would have faced an increase between 5.1 and 6%.
A vote for strong Rent Control is a vote for affordable housing.

The link is below.

http://news.ontario.ca/mah/en/2011/07/2012-rent-increase-guideline-1.html
--
Rob MacDonald,
Advocate for Tenants

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves.  We fight for
splendid virtue, for high endeavour, for sublime wisdom,
therefore we call ourselves warriors."
Aunguttara Nikaya