[homeles_ot-l] Ottawa news - Mark Horvath (website: invisiblepeople.tv)

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Tue Aug 30 18:03:32 EDT 2011

FYI . . .  Mark Horvath (website: invisiblepeople.tv) interviews Ottawa
homelss people. (Metro Ottawa)

Lynne Browne

Coordinator, Alliance to End Homelessness

613-241-7913 ext. 205, lbrowne at ysb.on.ca <mailto:lbrowne at ysb.on.ca>

147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7

VISIT www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca
<https://mail.ysb.on.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.endhomeless
nessottawa.ca>

NOW ATEH is on FACEBOOK HERE
<https://mail.ysb.on.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.facebook.co
m/home.php?%23!/pages/Alliance-to-End-Homelessness-Ottawa/13602938644239
8?v=wall%26ref=ts>  &

on TWITTER HERE @endhomelessOTT
<https://mail.ysb.on.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://twitter.com/en
dhomelessOTT>

Metro Ottawa

Online voice for the homeless

 Mark Horvath hits the road to find out the 'real' stories from
Canadians living on the streets

  joe lofaro

Mark Horvath interviews a woman in Ottawa near the McKenzie King Bridge.

JOE LOFARO

Published: August 30, 2011 5:00 a.m.

Mark Horvath struggled with drug and alcohol addiction in the mid-1990s,
which left him homeless on Hollywood Boulevard and then living in a
church for seven years. After turning his life around, the recent
economic downturn resulted in layoff after layoff.

"Facing homelessness a second time, I went out and grabbed my camera and
used my gifts to start empowering homeless people to tell their own
story," said Horvath.

Stopping in Ottawa on a cross-Canada trip, Horvath approached homeless
people in the downtown area, offered them socks and water, and asked
them about living on the streets and how they got there.

His unedited interviews are uploaded to his website, invisiblepeople.tv.

He says he wants to inspire people to support groups such as the
Salvation Army.

"We don't need to listen to another politician or an executive director
or some professor from some college. We need to listen to the homeless
mom living in her van," he said.

He started his trip July 4 in Victoria and hopes to use social media, a
camera and an open ear to make a difference as he heads for St. John's,
N.L., by Sept. 12.