[homeles_ot-l] Fw: 40 is too young to die

Catherine Boucher cboucher at rogers.com
Wed Dec 7 14:57:48 EST 2011

From: Brigitte Witkowski
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:39 PM
To: Brigitte Witkowski
Subject: 40 is too young to die

On Monday December 5, 2011 the above noted report was released.

It is the result of the collaborative efforts of community based agencies across the health care spectrum  who came together as the Early Onset illness and Mortality Working Group.  Mainstay  convened this group and sought academic support when our in-house evidence confirmed a disturbing trend:   too many of our tenant members who had finally reached safe, quality affordable housing and support were dying far before their time.  The report confirms with evidence and the voices of people with lived experience, the hurdles these persons face and provides a way forward to improve their odds in having a longer life.

Dr Stephen Hwang gave the keynote address.  He noted that the population we seek to house are those who, in addition to living with mental illness and/or addictions,  are poor and experienced in homelessness.  The evidence shows that they have the life expectancy of someone in 1929 Canada.  He praised the report in pulling together the evidence and in synthesizing the data to unveil a compelling story.  Housing is indeed 'an enormous determinant of health'.  He also noted how well the report drew attention to the consequences of ignoring physical and mental health issues and the catastrophic results for these persons and for the health care system.

The good news locally that as a result of our efforts,  the Toronto Central LHIN has recognized this issue as a funding priority  a year from now, and  the working  group work will continue to organize a think tank next year.

Please share this report with your networks.

Brigitte

Brigitte Witkowski

Executive Director

bwitkowski at mainstayhousing.ca

MAINSTAY HOUSING

761 Queen St. W., Suite 301

Toronto, ON Canada M6J 1G1

TEL 416.703.9266 x 235

FAX 416.703.9265

TTY 416.703.9267

www.mainstayhousing.ca

Building Futures. Creating Communities.

NOTICE: This electronic transmission (including attachments, if any) may contain information that is confidential, privileged and/or protected by law.

Review, disclosure or distribution of this e-mail by an unintended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please

notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete the copy you have received.