[homeles_ot-l] Looking for youth for CKUT 90.3 FM's 9th annual homelessness marathon

Derek Antoine dantoine at ysb.on.ca
Thu Feb 10 09:49:28 EST 2011

Forwarding on behalf of CKUT radio.

Looking for people to be interviewed on air for Feb 23 either at 2 am or
4 am for CKUT, 90.3 FM's 9th annual homelessness marathon...

The marathon is a consciousness raising, not a fund-raising broadcast.
There are no on-air solicitations. While we certainly encourage "haves"
to give generously to "have-nots," we believe that solving the problem
of homelessness requires not just volunteerism but also fundamental
changes in the way our nation's priorities are structured. The whole
mission of the marathon is to ignite a national dialogue about what
these changes should be.

Contact: Lina Harper, 613-315-7750

National coverage. Rebroadcast stations here:
http://ckut.ca/homeless/?page_id=93

More info: http://ckut.ca/homeless/

Here's an article I wrote about last year's broadcast:

http://www.montrealmirror.com/2010/021810/front.html

Street radio

Radio producers of CKUT's eighth annual Homelessness Marathon will again
brave the cold weather this Tuesday, Feb. 23 as they gear up for 14
hours of live radio from the street corner at the Native Friendship
Centre (2001 St-Laurent). Starting at sunset and ending at sunrise on
Wednesday, CKUT 90.3 FM will share hosting duties with campus radio
stations in Halifax, Vancouver and Thunder Bay.

Re-broadcast on over 30 other stations, the marathon aims to create an
exchange among homeless communities around the world as well as
facilitate discussions about homelessness and gender, First Nations,
HIV, mental health issues and more. This year, hour seven at 11 p.m. EST
is live from the streets of Vancouver to talk about the displacement of
the homeless during the Olympics.

"It's the one opportunity that we have to view this in a live talk show
format," says Gretchen King, Marathon and CKUT news co-ordinator. "We
actually get to talk amongst ourselves-the communities that are
listening, the poor and homeless people, and people calling in on the
toll-free line-we all get to have that conversation and talk about
housing as a human right but we also get to talk about possible
solutions." Listen online at ckut.ca.-by LINA HARPER