[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Discussion Paper on Social Assistance Review Released

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:00:20 EDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Income Security Advocacy Centre (ISAC) <isac at lao.on.ca>
Date: 13 June 2011 14:54
Subject: Discussion Paper on Social Assistance Review Released
To: mocharebyl at gmail.com

 Hello everyone,

The *Commission for the Review of Social Assistance in Ontario* has now
released and invited feedback on its first Discussion Paper. ISAC recently
received the email below from the Commissioners, which includes links to the
Commission’s website where you can get the Discussion Paper and other
resources.

The Commission will be travelling around Ontario through the summer to meet
with groups in formal consultations. They have also prepared a Workbook for
people to use as a tool to provide input, and a Guide for hosting community
conversations on the issues. The deadline for input in this first round of
consultations is September 1.

ISAC will shortly be providing an analysis of the questions in the
Discussion Paper and Workbook for the use of those who will be contributing
to the consultation process.

 In addition, our review website,
www.sareview.ca<http://www.cleonet.ca/maillist/lt/t_go.php?i=155&e=MzI2Nw==&l=http://www.sareview.ca/>,
provides a number of resources related to the issues being discussed in the
course of the review. These include:

   - video presentations from our “Transforming Ontario Works” event, held
   in conjunction with SAAC, which is available at:
   http://sareview.ca/isac-news/transforming-ontario-works-an-information-symposium/<http://www.cleonet.ca/maillist/lt/t_go.php?i=155&e=MzI2Nw==&l=http://sareview.ca/isac-news/transforming-ontario-works-an-information-symposium/>,

    - slide presentations from our joint “Income Delivery Architecture”
   event, at:
   http://sareview.ca/isac-news/income-delivery-architecture-where-does-your-cheque-come-from/<http://www.cleonet.ca/maillist/lt/t_go.php?i=155&e=MzI2Nw==&l=http://sareview.ca/isac-news/income-delivery-architecture-where-does-your-cheque-come-from/>,
   and
    - a letter recently sent to the Commission on gender and equity issues,
   at: http://sareview.ca/isac-news/gender-equity-the-review/<http://www.cleonet.ca/maillist/lt/t_go.php?i=155&e=MzI2Nw==&l=http://sareview.ca/isac-news/gender-equity-the-review/>.

In addition to using this information in any work you may be planning to do
to provide input on the review, please feel free to distribute this email /
information to your friends / clients / local community partners.

Cheers,

Jennefer at ISAC

 Research and Policy Analyst

 Income Security Advocacy Centre (ISAC)

June 9, 2011

We are excited to let you know that our engagement process is underway. Our
*Discussion Paper: Issues and Ideas* and a short version, *Summary and
Workbook*, are now available on our website:
www.socialassistancereview.ca<http://www.cleonet.ca/maillist/lt/t_go.php?i=155&e=MzI2Nw==&l=http://www.socialassistancereview.ca/>.

As part of its Poverty Reduction Strategy, the government has given us a
significant mandate to make recommendations to reform social assistance in
Ontario. We need to build a better system that improves employment
opportunities and provides security for people who cannot work.

The issues facing social assistance are complex and we need your help to
find the solutions. There are several ways to provide input to us, including
our online *Workbook*. Please visit our website to find out how to share
your views with the Commission.

While we welcome individual and organizational responses, we hope that
people across Ontario will come together in groups to engage in
cross-community dialogue. In this way, the proposed solutions will reflect
the unique perspectives of different regions and communities. A *Guide to
Hosting a Community Conversation* is available on our website for people who
may need guidance to organize their own meeting.

We will join in the conversations in a number of communities this summer and
have asked local partners to organize a day that we can spend in their
community. Please help us broaden the dialogue by distributing this message
to your networks, agencies, partners or members. We would like to receive
feedback by *September 1, 2011* so that we can consider it in the
development of an options paper in late fall/early winter. At that time, we
will seek further input and anticipate making more community visits.

If you would like to receive printed copies of the *Discussion Paper*
or *Summary
and Workbook*, please email us at socialassistancereview at ontario.ca or call
us toll free at 1-855-269-6250.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

FrancesLankin
   Munir A.
Sheikh

Commissioner
Commissioner

Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
“If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a
participant.” June Callwood
'If it is not on the menu  cook it yourself'  Buffy St Marie