[homeles_ot-l] Urgent - Triple bottom line decision-making going to Environment Ctte Monday a.m.

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 16:25:21 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

The triple bottom line approach to running the city was an important issue in both the discussions around the city's strategic plan in the last term of Council (think the golf course process!!) and the Poverty Reduction Strategy(PRS).

Triple Bottom Line = economic, environmental and social/cultural issues are all taken into account in a balanced way when planning is done and decisions are made.

When the PRS was at Council in (I think) February 2010, there was some discussion of the triple bottom line (TBL) and Steve Kanellakos said that Nancy Shepers was working on a policy. The result is on the Environment Committee agenda on Monday March 28th at 9:30. It puts forward how city decision making could be guided by TBL and gives two examples of how its already been done.

I apologize for the short notice but I just came across the report which is attached. The link to the agenda is below.

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/ec/2011/03-28/agendaindex5.htm

I hope some folks will be able to make it on Monday morning.

Linda.