[homeles_ot-l] Ottawa Tenants Conference Presents: Tenant Talk

Rob MacDonald robm at housinghelp.on.ca
Mon Oct 31 16:32:50 EDT 2011

The Ottawa Tenants Conference presents “Tenant Talk.” (See poster attached).

The fifth Ottawa Tenants Conference was held at City Hall on September
10thand it was a huge success. Tenants attended workshops on
everything from
maintenance and bedbugs to organizing Tenants Associations and learning how
the political structure affects laws about their housing.  According to the
evaluations we received, this year’s conference also motivated tenants to
'get involved' in making changes in how tenants are treated by their
landlords and the laws.

With that in mind, the organizers have planned a follow- up meeting to hear
directly from tenants and give them an opportunity to connect with each
other and identify some common problems.  *“Tenant Talk” takes place on
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:00pm in the CMHA Boardroom at 1355 Bank
Street, 4th floor.  *

This meeting is also a chance to hear about some of the local issues that
tenants face in Ottawa, such as the loss of affordable housing through
demolitions, the rising number of evictions, how the City of Ottawa has
been addressing maintenance problems, and finding housing in a city that
has the third highest rents in the country.  We are also looking for
feedback in organizing and planning the next Tenants Conference.

There will be *FREE* pizza and bus tickets, and daycare subsidies are
available on request.

To register or obtain further information please contact 613-563-4532,
extension 456, or reply to robm at housinghelp.on.ca

TOGETHER WE ARE STRONG!

--
Rob MacDonald,
Advocate for Tenants

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves.  We fight for
splendid virtue, for high endeavour, for sublime wisdom,
therefore we call ourselves warriors."
Aunguttara Nikaya