[homeles_ot-l] Feds cut low-income access to computers and the internet

carol lever carol_lever at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 9 13:32:26 EDT 2012

March 9/12

I am responding to your information regarding the cut to low income access to computers to let you know that under the new Social Assistance Review, the Commission released in February 2012, some of new developments in reform will include client allowances for internet access as well as new strategies to provide Wi-Fi access for citizens which makes more economic sense since clients will be able to bring their own computers to the library which already has Wi-Fi, which are just radio waves.

All of our technology is based upon radio frequencies anyhow and the government of Canada is working to improve our Social Affairs, not make them worse and in fact to suggest that our government is not working to eliminate poverty in Canada and throughout the global networks is an insult to all of our hard working bureaucrats who are really working hard to ensure that Canadian families have access to the tools they need to grow and integrate, since our people are our strength and our future.

The vision of the Commission Review of Social Assistance in Ontario is nothing less than progressive, and the Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network, has compiled a stellar report in response to the Discussion Paper 2: Approaches for Reform, this February 2012, entitled Ontario- A Place To Grow: Investing In Our People And Our Future.

Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network position paper in response to the Report released by the Social Assistance Review Commission, March 16, 2012.

The supporting documents are Ontario Association of Food Bank's 2008 report, "The Cost of Poverty" at http://www.oafb.ca/assets/pdfs/CostofPoverty.pdf

National Council of Wefare's 2011 report " The Dollars and Sense of Solving Poverty" at http://www.cnb-ncw.gc.ca/1.3bd.2t.1ishtml@eng.jsp?lid=433$fid=2 in English and http://www.cnb-ncw.gc.ca/1.3bd.2t.1ilshtml@eng.jsp?fid=3 in French

The Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology's Subcommittee on Cities 2009 report In From the Margins: A Call to Action on Poverty, Housing and Homelessness" at http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Committee/402/citi/rep/rep02eec09-e.pdf

The government of Canada is constantly moving forward to develop a new policy framework to overhaul our antiquated economic resource networks for social reform, to a modern menu where client centered selection to promote truly sustainable social welfare mechanisms is creating a new platform to promote the health and social integration in compliance with International Law and Social Reform Standards based upon Civil Rights and Social Justice legislative frameworks to which Canada is a signatory. Social Wefare reforms will become a component of our Canadian Revenue System, as it continues to evolve. Carol LeverOttawa Health and Social Services Advisory Committee Chair's personal comments