[homeles_ot-l] Tenants pay higher property taxes than homeowners - meeting on May 1

M Laplante laplante at res.ca
Thu Apr 26 22:11:48 EDT 2012

This may not be the appropriate list for a debate but I will point out the
following
1) The people behind this are landlords, not tenants organizations
2) The tax *rate* for rental apartments is higher, but *assessments* are
done differently, it's taxed on about half its value
3) While landlords have a legal obligation to pass rent reductions on to *
some* tenants, in fact a large proportion remains in their pockets.
4) Of all the ways to use property tax money to subsidize rents, reducing a
tax rate rate returns more money into high-end than low-end apartments. An
approach targeted, for instance one aimed at increasing supply, or
subsidizing tenants would be better than an across-the-board tax cut to
landlords.
Martin Laplante, PhD
RES Policy Research Inc.
Ottawa, Canada