[homeles_ot-l] FW: Letter from Commissioners Frances Lankin and Munir A. Sheikh

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Fri Feb 3 13:04:56 EST 2012

FYI . . . Lynne Browne

Executive Director, Alliance to End Homelessness

613-241-7913 ext. 205, lbrowne at ysb.on.ca <mailto:lbrowne at ysb.on.ca>

City of Ottawa Poverty Reduction Strategy

Barb McInnis

Co-Chair

City of Ottawa Poverty Reduction Strategy

Linda Lalonde

Co-Chair

Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network

Nadia Willard

Co-Chair

Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network

Lynne Browne

Alliance to End Homelessness

Dianne Urquehart

Social Planning Council of Ottawa

Hamdi Mohamed

Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization

Wanda MacDonald

Coalition of Health and Resource Centres

Daniel Gagnon

Community Legal Services (Ottawa-Carleton)

Dear Colleague:

We are pleased to let you know that Discussion Paper 2: Approaches for
Reform is available on our website at www.socialassistancereview.ca.
Once again, we are asking for your help.

This paper advances the dialogue we began last June, when we asked you
to provide us with an opportunity to hear the perspectives of your
community on the key issues facing social assistance.  The response to
the community conversations, and to our first discussion paper, was
tremendous and we appreciate how many people took the time to share
their views.  These are summarized in What We Heard: A Summary of
Discussions on Social Assistance, also posted on our website.  We
encourage you to read the summary as a companion to the second
discussion paper.

Based on what we have learned through these consultations and our
research, it is clear to us that the system requires transformative
change.  Small fixes will not suffice, if we are to help more people on
a path to a better life.

Our purpose in this paper is to discuss different approaches to
improving some of the key areas of the social assistance system.  As our
work unfolded, we strongly desired to engage in further dialogue and
obtain feedback on specific areas of reform to help refine our thinking.
This paper provides those opportunities, and we hope you will share it
within your community, so that once again our work is informed by the
unique perspectives of different regions and communities.  We would like
to receive feedback by Friday, March 16; information on how to make a
submission is available on our website.  The input and advice we receive
to the government in June.

If you would like to receive printed copies of Approaches for Reform,
please email us at socialassistancereview at ontario.ca or call us toll
free at 1-855-269-6250.

Thank you for the work you have done on our behalf, and for your
commitment to improving social assistance.

Sincerely,

Frances Lankin
Munir A. Sheikh

Commissioner