[homeles_ot-l] Ask Me Ottawa: "Carleton University Students to Spend Five Days Outdoors for the Homeless"

Derek Antoine dantoine at connect.carleton.ca
Fri Mar 9 12:10:04 EST 2012

This week, Carleton University Students spend five days outdoors to
raise funds for a local homeless organization. On behalf of the entire
homelessness community, we want to thank the organizers and students
who are working hard to make a difference. This is just more evidence
that our movement is growing!
"On Sunday, five Carleton students will leave the comforts of their
beds, showers, regular meals and shelter behind to sleep outside for
five nights. They are taking part in a national campaign called 5 Days
for the Homeless.

“The first year I did this, I met homeless people with non-typical
life stories about how they ended up on the street,” said Kristina
Partsinevelos, a Carleton master of journalism student who also sits
on the national organizing committee of 5 Days. “I learned the
important lesson that you can’t assume why someone is on the street
and that more often than not, it is not because of stereotypical
stories you hear.”

Read the full story here: http://newsroom.carleton.ca/2012/03/08/carleton-university-students-to-spend-five-days-outdoors-for-the-homeless/