[homeles_ot-l] Reminder-June 8 ATEH Meeting & NEW REPORT on Housing prospects

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Mon May 28 10:58:14 EDT 2012

Dear Alliance Listserv Members -- This is a reminder about the ATEH
meeting on June 8th. Please send your RSVPs to atehott at gmail.com to help
us plan for the meeting. Our expert panellists (see below) are excited
to share their understanding of the impact of expiring social housing
agreements on efforts to end homelessness and on existing social
housing. The meeting is open to ATEH members and other interested
stakeholders.

NEW ---  Housing Prospects for Low-income or Homeless Ottawans
<http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/>  - The Alliance has just released
a 5 page report online <http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/> . We
invite you to make use of the data highlights and charts in it - they
focus on three pivotal, powerful numbers - 31.6%, 31 and 1.7 billion to
an examine homelessness in the Ottawa community in 2011, the private
rental market and subsidized housing. The report was prepared at this
time as the Alliance's modest contribution to the Canada-wide Defend Our
Social Housing <http://defendoursocialhousing.com/>  Weekend of Action
May 25-28 organized in conjunction with the Red Tent Campaign.

Lynne Browne

Executive Director, Alliance to End Homelessness

***

Meeting Notice for Members of the Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa
(ATEH)

Why Defend Social Housing?

Federal social housing operating agreements have begun to expire.

Will there be an impact on efforts to end homelessness and on existing
social housing?

The Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa Presents

an expert panel on June 8th

Jody Ciufo

Executive Director, Canadian Housing and Renewal Association (CHRA)

Ray Sullivan

Executive Director, Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation and Vice
President, Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association (ONPHA)

Steve Pomeroy

Focus Consulting, Inc. and Senior Research Fellow, University of Ottawa
Centre on Governance

Friday, June 8th, 2012,   9:00 to 11:00 a.m.

171 George Street, Salvation Army Booth Centre, 1st floor meeting room

RSVP:   atehott at gmail.com   This important meeting is for all ATEH
members and other affected stakeholders.

Why defend social housing?

Across Canada, hundreds of thousands of co-op, non-profit and public
housing units have been receiving subsidies for decades from the federal
government. These subsidies, which allow very low-income families to be
housed, are beginning to run out. The number of housing units
benefitting from long-term agreements decreased from 630,000 in 2006 to
613,500 in 2010, and this phenomenon will accelerate over the next five
years.

By 2032, the federal government will no longer fund any housing units.
All social housing units built before 1994 will be affected. This
represents a loss of $1.7 billion in funding per year.

This meeting is an opportunity to find out we need to know about
expiring social housing agreements. Can anything be done now? Some
initial questions:

*         Is this likely to slow down efforts to help people move out of
emergency shelters or to help community members avoid becoming homeless?

*         What could this mean for those who have the lowest incomes and
need to pay rent geared to their income?

*         What impacts could there be for low-income tenants currently
living in co-op and non-profit housing who pay rent geared to their
income? Will it impact other tenants too?

*         Are there difficult decisions ahead for affordable housing
providers with rent geared to income units?

*         How do we preserve existing social housing, not only for
current tenants, but for all households who will need it in the future?

*         Can we change the future of social housing if we start
advocating together now?

***

Lynne Browne

Executive Director, Alliance to End Homelessness

lbrowne at ysb.on.ca <mailto:lbrowne at ysb.on.ca>

613-241-7913 ext. 205,

147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7

www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca
<https://mail.ysb.on.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.endhomeless
nessottawa.ca>

ATEH on FACEBOOK HERE
<https://mail.ysb.on.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.facebook.co
m/home.php?%23!/pages/Alliance-to-End-Homelessness-Ottawa/13602938644239
8?v=wall%26ref=ts>  & TWITTER HERE @endhomelessOTT
<https://mail.ysb.on.ca/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://twitter.com/en
dhomelessOTT>