[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: A CERA EVENT

Rob MacDonald robm at housinghelp.on.ca
Mon Jun 17 11:20:04 EDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Leilani Farha <leilani at cwp-csp.ca>
Date: Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Subject: A CERA EVENT Š
To: Rob MacDonald <robm at housinghelp.on.ca>

Hi Rob,

Wondering if you would send this out to your networks? Its fast approaching
and we are just getting the message out …  Thanks so much!

Best,
Leilani

---

*Promoting Human Rights in Housing across Ontario …. Join the Conversation
… *

Discrimination against Aboriginal renters...The lack of rental housing that
is accessible to people with disabilities...Social housing rules that limit
options for families with children...Municipal by-laws that restrict rental
housing or group homes...Not-In-My-Backyard opposition to social housing...

These are all housing issues. They are also human rights issues. Human
rights law can be a valuable tool in responding to communities’ unique
housing needs and priorities. CERA – The Centre for Equality Rights in
Accommodation <http://www.equalityrights.org/cera> wants to tell you more.

Over the past year, CERA has worked with partners in Thunder Bay, London,
Hamilton, Sudbury, and Windsor to investigate local housing issues that
could benefit from CERA’s human rights-based approach and expertise, and
develop collaborative strategies and initiatives to address them.  We want
Ottawa to be part of that conversation.

*Please join us!*

CERA and Canada Without Poverty <http://www.cwp-csp.ca> will be hosting a
meeting in Ottawa to bring together a small group of agencies,
organizations, municipal staff and housing providers to discuss local
housing issues and their human rights implications, and possible ways that
CERA could assist.

*WHEN: Wednesday June 26th 2012 from 9:00am-12:00pm  *****A light breakfast
and refreshments will be provided.*

*WHERE:*  Under One Roof (now 25OneCommunity) @ 251 Bank Street (corner of
Cooper and Bank). This is an accessible building.

*RSVP:  *Numbers are limited. Please RSVP to: maureen at cwp-csp.ca

*CERA* is a provincial non-profit organization established in 1987 to
promote human rights in housing. CERA uses provincial, national, and
international human rights law to help remove the barriers that keep low
income individuals and families from accessing and retaining the housing
they need. We do this through human rights research, law reform and
advocacy, test case litigation and through providing individual assistance
to people who have experienced discrimination related to their housing.
--

*Leilani Farha*

Executive Director

*CANADA WITHOUT POVERTY/CANADA SANS PAUVRETÉ*

@UnderOneRoof, 251 Bank Street, 2nd Floor, Ottawa, ON K2P 1X3

*Tel:* (613) 789-0096 Ext. 3208

*Toll Free:* 1-800-810-1076

*Cell: *(613) 302-7769

*Skype:* farwise

Web Site <http://www.cwp-csp.ca/>;
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canada-Without-Poverty/106633876058589>
; Twitter <http://twitter.com/CWP_CSP>****

* *

*Help support our work! / **Aidez-nous!*

CanadaHelps <http://www.canadahelps.org/Home.aspx> (donate on-line and
receive an immediate tax receipt/Faites un don en ligne et recevez
immédiatement un reçu pour les impôts)

--
Rob MacDonald,
Advocate for Tenants

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves.  We fight for
splendid virtue, for high endeavour, for sublime wisdom,
therefore we call ourselves warriors."
Aunguttara Nikaya