[homeles_ot-l] Provincial Poverty Reduction Strategy- Prep Meeting - August 26, 2014, 2:30 - 5:30 pm, 501 - 309 Cooper Street

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 23:52:55 EDT 2014

Hi Folks,

The Ontario Government is overdue in producing the next five-year plan for reducing poverty in the province. The last one ended in December of 2013 and their most recent commitment for a Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS) was that the new one will be released within 60 days of the resumption of the Legislature after the June election. That would mean it will appear by September 3rd if they follow through.

A number of advocates met last March - when we thought that the PRS was coming out in the spring - to share our expectations and strategize around potential responses. The notes from that meeting are attached below. We will be gathering again on August 26th via teleconference to prepare for the release of this next edition of the PRS.

The OPRN would like to invite you to join us for both the teleconference as well as a very brief strategizing session for Ottawa-based actions and responses. Our partners at Citizens for Public Justice have generously offered their facilities to host the group here in Ottawa. Please join us from 2:30 to 5:30 at:

           501 - 309 Cooper Street which is on the north side of Cooper between O'Connor and Metcalfe. Cooper is one-way eastbound.

We have asked our provincial partners to provide us with a list of who will be attending which they are aiming to send out on Monday to everyone. In addition, it would be helpful if we knew how many people will be joining us. Could you please let me know as soon as possible if you will be able to attend?

We will be planning another get-together when we have the actual date of the PRS release so if you can't make it this time but are interested in follow-up, please let me know.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Linda.

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humour, and some style.”
Maya Angelou

Dear Ontario Campaign 2000 Partners,

You are invited to a joint 25in5 and Ontario Campaign 2000 meeting and teleconference on August 26th from 3-5 pm (details below). We would like to bring advocates from across the province together to assist with preparation for the release of the second Ontario Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS). During the election, the release of the PRS was promised 60 days after the legislature resumed. This means it should be announced shortly after Labour Day.

This meeting is a follow up to the productive March 19th joint networks meeting. On March 19th, we brainstormed strategies for community groups to respond to the release of the PRS in the spring. The PRS was likely delayed because of the late budget and election campaign, but several budget announcements are linked to the strategy. Meeting notes and the PRS response kit developed after the meeting are attached here as useful backgrounders.