[homeles_ot-l] 1) Looking for ideas for 2014 Ont budget consult 2) Reminder OPRN mtg Tues Jan 14, 1:30 at Rideau-Rockcliffe CRC

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 13 14:27:51 EST 2014

Hi folks,

Here's some info on two meetings you may be interested in: Thursday, January 16th at 1:30 - location to be confirmed (or email) to talk about the 2014 Ontario budget and the January 14th OPRN meeting at 1:30 at Rideau-Rockcliffe. You may also be interested in endorsing either or both of the ATEH or OPRN budget positions which, of course, strengthens them.

1) The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs will be in Kingston on January 23rd for their annual pre-budget consultations. According to the info they gave me Friday, the Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network and the Alliance to End Homelessness are the only community groups from Ottawa that made the cut to present to them. Mike Bulthuis from the Alliance and I have chatted and we are going to coordinate our presentations so we can make the best use of the limited time we will have.

At the same time, we want to include as much input as possible in what we say so that the Committee gets a broad cross-representation of Ottawa's concerns and needs. We also recognize that the set-up of these consultations is not optimum for everybody and not everyone who wants to participate gets the invite. It can be hard to justify blocking off five hours to go to Kingston in the winter to do a ten minute presentation. It's also difficult, with a couple of weeks between confirmation of a spot and the presentation, to prepare a brief and have it approved by your board or other structure in time.

Sooooo ... we thought it would be useful to offer people the opportunity to participate in developing our positions. Obviously what we say in Kingston has to fit within the parameters of the ATEH or OPRN's mandate. I won't be recommending lowering the social assistance rates and I don't think Mike will be suggesting offering home-buying grants to folks making over $500K but other ideas you have would be welcome.

We're inviting you to meet with us on Thursday, January 16th at 1:30 to talk about what the priorities should be for the 2014 budget at the province. We'll then take that info and incorporate it as best we can into the presentations. If you can't make the meeting, please email any suggestions/ideas you have. I don't have the location confirmed yet but will get it out asap when you confirm that you're coming.

2) Just a reminder that the OPRN will be meeting on Tuesday at 1:30 at the Rideau-Rockcliffe CRC at 225 Donald Street.

Thanks,

Linda.

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
 Neil Gaiman