[homeles_ot-l] Ontario Votes 2014 - Provincial Election - Housing and Homelessness Resources

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Mon Jun 2 11:13:58 EDT 2014

Ontario Votes 2014 - Provincial Election - Housing and Homelessness
Resources

It is June, and the Provincial election is just around the corner! Remember,
Ontario Votes on Thursday, June 12 (though advance polls are now open!).

This email includes: (1) Housing and Homelessness Questions for Candidates;
(2) Information Resources on Housing and Homelessness; and (3) Voting
Information

Housing and Homelessness Questions for Candidates

Here are a number of questions you may wish to raise during this election
campaign; you can use these with candidates, at the door, at a debate or in
any opportunity you have to engage candidates in your area:

.         What will you do to increase the availability of affordable and
supportive housing options for vulnerable residents?

.         The City of Ottawa recently adopted a 10-year housing and
homelessness plan, entitled "A Home for Everyone.' What will you do to help
ensure our community is successful in achieving the Plan's targets?

.         How will you ensure Ontario households have the necessary income
to afford housing in the communities where they live?

.         What will you do to end homelessness in Ontario?

The Alliance to End Homelessness -- along with the Coalition of Community
Health and Resource Centres Ottawa, the Co-operative Housing Association of
Eastern Ontario, the Eastern Ontario Landlord Organization, the Ottawa
Social Housing Network and the Ottawa Supportive Housing Network - is
engaging party leaders and local candidates with questions like these. Our
letter to leaders and candidates is available here:

http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/joint-letter-from-ottawa-coalitions-to-provi
ncial-parties-on-housing-and-homelessness-2/

Information Resources on Housing and Homelessness

There are numerous resources available with further information on housing
and homelessness in Ottawa, and across Ontario.

>From the Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa:

.         2013 Report Card on Ending Homelessness in Ottawa:

http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/annual-report-card-2013/

.         Policy and Program Messages for Governments (from the 2013 Report
Card):

http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/annual-report-card-2013/the-policy-landscape
/

.         ATEH Ontario Pre-Budget Submission, January 2014:

http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/the-alliance-to-end-homelessness-pre-budget-
consultation-brief-to-the-ontario-standing-committee-on-finance-and-economic
-affairs/

>From our Partners:

.         The Homeless Hub has created a page to help you make informed
voting choices in the Ontario Election:

http://homelesshub.com/blog/ask-hub-where-find-resources-make-informed-votin
g-decisions

.         Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association (ONPHA) 2014 Election
Resources:

http://onpha.on.ca/onpha/web/Policyandresearch/2014_Elections/Content/Policy
AndResearch/2014_Elections/Main.aspx

.         Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Ontario 2014 Pre-Budget
Submission:

http://ontario.cmha.ca/news/housing-income-security-increased-funding-for-co
mmunity-mental-health-and-addictions-sector-highlights-of-cmha-ontarios-budg
et-submission/

Voting Information

Polling information:

.         Where do I vote? How do I find my candidates? What identification
do I need to vote? Where are my advance polling locations?

.         To find answers to these questions and more, visit:
www.wemakevotingeasy.ca

In Ottawa, Rogers TV organized all-candidates debates in local ridings.
These debates are being re-televised several times leading up to the
election. For a complete schedule, check:

http://rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=12
<http://rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=12&rid=4&sid=6280&ref=election>
&rid=4&sid=6280&ref=election

Be sure to follow the Alliance to End Homelessness, via Twitter and on
Facebook, for further resources and information!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/endhomelessnessottawa

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ATEH_OTT

Mike Bulthuis

Executive Director