[homeles_ot-l] Research on Housing First - accessing scattered sites through housing allowances

Rob MacDonald robm at housinghelp.on.ca
Mon Jun 23 17:09:22 EDT 2014

It may be true that other provinces have rent supplement program, but
housing advocates across the country have had their concerns about how they
are implemented into the system and whether they are doing more harm than
good.  BC, for example has two supplement programs, one for seniors and one
for families.  Everyone else gets left out.

In my own experience I have seen landlords evict or 'transfer' tenants
unwillingly so that they can renovate the unit or allegedly move into it
themselves.  There is no security of tenure for tenants and they can be
evicted for a slew of reasons that may have nothing to do with their
behaviour.

Rent supplements can also be a lottery for landlords in provinces that have
weak rent control, since landlords can raise rents as much as they want and
take advantage of supplements. In Ontario, there is no limit to the rent
increase a landlord can take in a new tenancy.

A number of U.S. studies have also proven conclusively that market rents
increased substantially for non-supplemented low-income tenants who lived
nearby.  The Susin report studied 90large metropolitan cities where housing
vouchers were introduced.  The main finding was was that "those areas with
more vouchers experienced faster rent increases than those where areas
vouchers were less abundant."  It estimated that the shelter allowance
system actually raised rents by an average of 16 per cent.  THe vouchers
caused an 8.2 billion increase in total rent paid by low income tenants
while only providing a subsidy of 5.8 billion, ersulting in a net loss of
2.4 billion to low income households.

According to the Wellesley Institute, "supplements inflate rents for all
tenants, not just those receiving subsidies..  The economic cost outweighs
the economic value."

It must also be said that shelter allowance do nothing to alleviate the
scarcity of housing. As the vacancy rate has dropped in Ottawa, landlords
will be charging more for rents, and people with low incomes have no choice
but to pay extravagant rents without assurances of adequate maintenance.  A
social housing program, on the other hand, will increase the supply.

--
Rob MacDonald,
Advocate for Tenants

"*There can be no fairness or justice in a society in which some live in
homelessness, or in the shadow of that risk, while others cannot even
imagine it.” *
―Jordan Flaherty