[homeles_ot-l] FW: Stitching Our Social Safety Net

Linda O'Neil loneil at cmhaottawa.ca
Tue Jun 24 10:05:59 EDT 2014

FYI  - Opportunity to add housing/homelessness squares to the anti-poverty quilt. Please see below and contact Lisa directly.

Linda O'Neil
Chair,Public Affairs Working Group
Alliance to End Homelessness

Public Education Consultant
Canadian Mental Health Association, Ottawa Branch
Association canadienne pour la santé mentale, Section d'Ottawa
301-1355 rue Bank Street, Ottawa, ON    K1H 8K7
613-737-7791  Ext. 135         Fax: 613-737-7644

Email: loneil at cmhaottawa.ca<mailto:lsmoore at cmhaottawa.ca>
Website: www.ottawa.cmha.ca<http://www.cmhaottawa.ca/>

[cid:image004.jpg at 01CF8F93.31FD6BD0]

Subject: Stitching Our Social Safety Net

This fall there will be a municipal election. So often, poverty issues are missed or ignored by our elected officials. This year, we want to give candidates an opportunity to listen to our concerns and let us know how they plan to approach issues related to poverty and mental health.

We are very excited about this project that our Poverty Elimination Mental Health Advocates Group (PEMHA) is working hard to organize. The first poster is a draft of the event for the 29th of September event where we will unveil the quilt (hopefully to wrap it around city hall in the afternoon). We are adding to the quilt that Houselink/The Dream Team in Toronto used in the lead up to the last provincial election to make a statement on the eroding safety net. Currently there are 14 sections that measure 15 feet by 3 feet. We would like to receive the squares by August 1 if possible. Please contact me for further information on how to be involved.

The second poster shows what we are doing at CMHA with our consumers/clients. It would be fantastic if each organization would run their own Art n' Action group to contribute squares to the quilt. Dimensions (per square) are a maximum of two (2) feet by two (2) feet.
Here are some examples of ways to get involved:

1. Contribute a basic (generic) square to our safety net: Sew/stitch/crochet or weave a square/rectangle and send it to us.  You can also send us a scrap of any material you have. We will stitch together everything we receive, to create the body of the social safety net.
and/or
2. Create a customized image about the issue you care most about: Using any art materials you have, you or your group create a 2-dimensional artistic representation of the part of the social safety net that you are most concerned about.  For example:
§  A house can represent the lack of affordable housing. [cid:image001.png at 01CF8F91.D88294A0]
§  An empty pocket can represent the low social assistance rates. [cid:image002.png at 01CF8F91.D88294A0]

Bring staff and/or clients, service users or consumers to the event. We need to make our presence shown and bring issues to City Hall so our voice and our votes count!

We would also like to host a morning event. We have not solidified the details yet but, something along the lines of knowledge exchange between organizations, politician Q & A and guest speakers. If any organizations have any ideas on that or wish to help me and PEMHA organize the details, that would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Barleben
MSW Student
Capacity Buiding and Education Division
Canadian Mental Health Association, Ottawa Branch
301-1355 rue Bank Street, Ottawa, ON    K1H 8K7
613-737-7791    Fax: 613-737-7644

Email: lbarleben at cmhaottawa.ca<mailto:lbarleben at cmhaottawa.ca>
Website: www.cmhaottawa.ca<http://www.cmhaottawa.ca/>

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CF8F91.D88294A0]

Confidentiality Message
This e-mail message is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing or reproducing it. If the addressee cannot be reached or is unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail immediately and delete this e-mail message and destroy all copies. Thank you.

Use of e-mail
Our communications to you may contain confidential information.   Please advise if you wish us to use a mode of communication other than regular, unsecured e-mail in our communications with you.
Avis de confidentialité
Ce message, transmis par courriel, est confidentiel et est à l'usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par les présentes avisée qu'il lui est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le distribuer ou le reproduire. Si le destinataire ne peut être joint ou vous est inconnu, veuillez informer l'expéditeur par courrier électronique immédiatement et détruire ce message et toute copie de celui-ci. Merci.

Utilisation du courrier électronique
Nos communications avec vous peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels. Si vous désirez que nous communiquions avec vous par un autre moyen de transmission que le courrier électronique ordinaire non sécurisé, veuillez nous en aviser.