[homeles_ot-l] CHPI / CSUMB - Budget 2014

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 19:53:11 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

Some of you will recall that the Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network and 26 other community organizations across the province sent a letter to the Minister of Community & Social Services last November. We asked to have the $42M in transition funding for municipalities to maintain the funding level for CHPI (which replaced the Community Start-Up and Maintenance Benefit) made a permanent addition instead of a one-year fund.

As you'll see below, in spite of the unsupportive response we got initially from the Minister, the $42M has been added to the base funding for CHPI. People often ask me why I bother going after governments to do the right thing and here's a good demonstration of the answer - it does work sometimes!!

As Jennefer says, we still need to see all the details but I think it's time for some jumping up and down! So you know how happy you should be, in 2013/14 Ottawa's share of the $42M was $2,303,395. That's a lot of eviction prevention and other supports for people facing housing-related crises!!

The next step will be to ensure that Ottawa uses the new dollars well - get ready to talk to your favourite councillor or bureaucrat.

I sure do love when it goes as it should!!

Linda.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."  Dr Seuss.