[homeles_ot-l] national youth homelessness survey

Dan Sabourin dansabourin at ysb.on.ca
Tue May 6 23:57:51 EDT 2014

As a member of the National Learning Community on Homeless Youth <http://www.learningcommunity.ca> , YSB participated in the 2014 National Mental Health Needs Assessment. On February 27, 2014 with our national partners we assessed the youth who accessed our programs and services.

Key Messages

Findings

In 2014, we assessed 1054 homeless youth. Of these young people:

·        56% have mental health issues

·        50% have addictions issues

·        35% have Concurrent Disorders

Barriers to Housing

Mental health issues, addictions and Concurrent Disorders make it difficult for youth to access adequate housing.

Additional Support

An overwhelming number of youth we work with require additional supports beyond what we can provide.

Barriers to Support

A vast majority of youth who require additional supports cannot access these supports for a variety of factors (most are connected to being homeless). There are a number of reasons why homeless youth can't access services they need to support their mental health and/or addictions issues. Staff completing the assessment were asked to list the barriers to services for homeless youth.

Dan Sabourin

Director of Community Services

Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa

147 Besserer Street

Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6A7

Phone  (613) 241-7913 ext.401

Cell:     (613) 290-2531

Fax:     (613) 241-7789

twitter account @danstreetyouth

 þwww.ysb.on.ca <http://www.ysb.on.ca/>
Like us on Facebook here <http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Youth-Services-Bureau-of-Ottawa-Bureau-des-services-a-la-jeunesse/140687546265?v=wall&ref=ts>
Sign up for our e-newsletter here <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001Vjt3cCjZco9hl6918cXrWxUf_gFzZupdhX1U3pyAaOvWPFsA_F0uJQ%3D%3D+>

DISCLAIMER:

The information in this email may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.Access, copying or re-use of the email or any information contained therein by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the email to the originator.