[homeles_ot-l] FW: Supporting the Homeless to Vote - Aider les sans-abri à voter

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Wed Oct 1 09:48:48 EDT 2014

Hi everyone:

Today marks the first of three Special Advance polls for the Ottawa
municipal election.

Unlike traditional Advance Voting, where an elector can only vote at their
assigned voting locations, Special Advance Voting locations are open to all
City electors. Three locations (City Hall, Ben Franklin Place, and the OPL
Cumberland Branch) are open today until Friday. Hours and locations are
here:
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/your-city-government/elections/advance-voting

So, feel free to vote, at any of the three locations – and take a vanload of
voters with you! (of course, be sure to check the www.HousingAnswer.ca
first, to see which candidates support increased investments towards the
City’s 10-Year Housing and Homelessness Plan).

I’m also forwarding information – below and attached – that includes the
form / steps necessary for anyone without a permanent address to vote. Huge
thanks to Virginia Duarte Walsh, and everyone with the Making Votes Count
project!

Dear Housing providers, Shelters and Day Programs,

We are pleased to provide you with a packet of materials to give you the
tools to support people who are homeless  to vote in the October 27th
Municipal Election.  This packet has been prepared by the project, Making
Votes Count Where We Live.  This three year project, co-sponsored by the
Coalition of Community Health and Resource Centres and CAWI, is working in
partnership with the Alliance to End Homelessness and other community
organizations to increase voter turnout in low-income neighbourhoods and
among people living in poverty.

You may post these materials, give them to your clients and help them in
completing the necessary forms.

You will find in this packet:

·         Supporting the Homeless to Vote (EN-FR) and related documents

o   Affidavit of Residence (EN-FR)

o   One piece of identification needed

o   Declaration of Identity (to be signed at the voting location)(EN-FR)

·         Flyer on When and Where to vote (post so they also know Advanced
Poll days, which begin Oct 1, 2 and 3)

·         Creating a  City for All Brochures (to learn more about why voting
matters)

For more information on this project, you can visit our web-site:

 <http://www.makingvotescount.ca> www.makingvotescount.ca.