[homeles_ot-l] Join us at Thursday's Mock Election Night

Kaite Burkholder kaite_burkholder at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:19:06 EDT 2014

For all those interested in exploring ways to make the city's politics more representative…
You are invited to a Mock Election Night showcasing the benefits of Ranked Choice Voting in Ottawa's Municipal Elections happening this Thursday, October 23rd at Hooley's Pub at 7:00pm
The goal is to improve how we elect our mayor and our councillors. Right now someone can win with as little as 20% support in a 5-way race. Our goal is to switch to 'ranked ballots' so that the winner always has to have at least 50% support. Simple!Ottawa City Idol is a fun and educational event where prominent community leaders go head-to-head to share their best ideas for Ottawa in order to win the prestigious title of City Idol!Ottawa City Idol candidates will share their ideas and vision on how to make Ottawa a great city. Following a question period, participants, both online and in-person, will vote for their preferred candidates using Ranked Choice Voting (RCV). Ottawa City Idol is a fun and accessible way to demonstrate what our elections could look like using RCV in our future elections.The event will take place at Hooley's in Downtown Ottawa, and will be live-streamed at ottawa123.ca/ottidol and live-tweated at #ottidol.If you can't make it to the party, don't forget to register to participate online so that we can send you link to the live-stream!Event Tickets @ EventBrite: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ottawa-city-idol-tickets-13663212035?aff=eorgCome join Ottawa123 for a fun and interactive evening that will challenge residents to think more about creating a better democracy at the local level. Light refreshments will be served. Alcohol available for purchase.Event Schedule - Thursday October 237:00-7:30 - Doors Open and Welcoming Remarks by Ottawa1237:30-8:30 - Debate Time8:30-8:45 - Voting Period and Mingle8:45-9:00 - Results Announced and Wrap-Up9:00-9:30 - The Party Continues Your Idol CandidatesManjit Basi, Citizens AcademyJoanne Chianello, Ottawa CitizenSuzanne Doerge, City for All Women's InitiativeGraham Saul, Ecology OttawaBrandon Wint, PoetManjit Basi, Citizens Academy