[homeles_ot-l] Realizing our Potential: Ontario's Poverty Reduction Strategy (2014-2019)

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Thu Sep 4 10:29:02 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, the Province of Ontario released Realizing our Potential:
Ontario's Poverty Reduction Strategy (2014-2019) - and within the strategy,
stated "Our government is committing to end homelessness." This is good
news, and between the various commitments, creates numerous opportunities
for us to engage to ensure the goal is achieved. You can find the entire
strategy here:

http://www.ontario.ca/home-and-community/realizing-our-potential-poverty-red
uction-strategy-2014-2019

>From the Homeless Hub: In 2008, Ontario released its first Poverty Reduction
Strategy, Breaking the Cycle, which set a target of reducing child poverty
by 25%. Although the target was not met, 47,000 children and their families
were able to exit poverty. The new plan builds on the progress made and sets
out to continue to break the cycle of poverty. Ontario is setting a new goal
of ending homelessness. Research will be used to help define the problem,
measure it and set targets. Lessons learned and best practices related to
housing and homelessness from different communities will be used to inform
progress. The report cites that investments in homelessness prevention will
be made, which would include expanding access to supportive housing, and
more investment in affordable housing. An annual report of progress will
also be made available.

Alan Neal, host of CBC Radio All in a Day, interviewed Minister Deb Matthews
yesterday afternoon, after which I offered some initial reactions. The two
interviews are available here:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/AudioMobile/All+in+a+Day/ID/2506144261/

There is plenty of additional commentary on the plan; two helpful summaries
/ reactions can be found here:

.         Toronto Star: "Social groups applaud plan to end homelessness in
Ontario, but urge deadline" -
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/09/03/liberals_promise_to_end_ho
melessness_some_day.html

.         Abe Oudshoorn: "Ontario's Poverty Reduction Strategy: The Good,
the Bad, and the Beautiful" - http://abeoudshoorn.com/blog/?p=999

Best,

Mike.

Mike Bulthuis