[homeles_ot-l] 1) Local Poverty Reduction Fund Process - update 2) OPRN meeting May 20th 1:15 pm 120 - 225 Donald St

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 28 21:22:16 EDT 2015

Hi folks,

A couple of updates on the provincial Poverty Reduction (PR) $$ for local projects.
The first stage for applications for the $50M (across the province over 6 years) is an Expression of Interest which is due next Tuesday. Then there is an RfP which will be due in mid-June.
Attached below is an update that I received from the PR Strategy Office in Toronto with answers to some questions they've had from the community. They plan to send these updates 'regularly' and I will forward them. Probably the most important info is that they will not fund the continuation of existing work - you can ask for $$ to serve a new population or deliver services in a new way but only the new component is eligible.
A group of community organizations and agencies met this afternoon to look at what the response from Ottawa might be to this process. While it wasn't totally representative of the human services community, it was a fairly broad cross-section. We had general agreement that there should be two things happening in the community - first, that there should be coordination of the projects going in wherever possible both in the application stage and over the next three years and, second, that we should look at submitting several concepts all built around the theme of services to youth ("youth" to be defined in the next couple of days). The primary areas that we identified were housing, employment, hunger and newcomers and each one has a work group meeting in the next day or two to explore what that area might look like.
If you couldn't come to this afternoon's meeting or didn't get an invite, you can still participate in the community-wide process. Let me know and I will connect you with the group working in your area of interest. There will be time to get involved for the RfP process if you can't jump in now. On the same token, if you are planning to submit an application on your own, could you please let us know? We don't want to duplicate efforts and may be able to send people your way who would be interested in what you're proposing. The very strong feeling I got in the room today was that everyone is committed to seeing strong proposals go forward from Ottawa.
The next Ottawa Poverty Reduction Network meeting will be May 20th at 1:15 pm at the Rideau-Rockcliffe CRC, 225 Donald St. Please let me know if you are able to be there.
Linda. “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”
Confucius