[homeles_ot-l] “…it’s time for the social sector to make some real investment in digital skills”

Bill Dare bill.dare at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 08:14:26 EST 2015

<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>“…it’s
time for the social sector to make some real investment in digital skills”
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/its-time-for-the-social-sector-to-make-some-real-investment-in-digital-skills/>
by Bill Dare
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>

The Ontario Non-profit Network (ONN) provides analysis on the use of
information communication technology (ICT) in this post
http://theonn.ca/building-tech-capacity-in-the-nonprofit-sector/  Andi
Argast notes the need for organizational leadership to integrate ICT into
operations in the administrative sense and suggests a relevance for daily
organizational activities.

*Openness, particularly when considering how we structure our internal
teams and work with partner organizations, is an important piece and a step
in the right direction. But it’s not enough: what is needed is recognition
within the sector that investing in digital skills training is an
investment in ourselves and the future of the sector.*

How we link ICT to services and to everyday engagement...care is critical
if we are to keep our eye on the prize.

I wondered about the article and found important big vision examples found
here: http://itellstories.org/tbyt   from the work of Sameer Vasta
http://www.takebackyourtech.ca/sameer-bio

[image: Slide 6: Kudoz]

*Kudoz <http://www.kudoz.ca/> is an atypical disability day program being
run in Vancouver. Instead of going to a standard, set adult disability day
program, participants use their mobile devices to choose special activities
and adventures each day: a program that is tailor-made to their interests.
These activities are hosted by volunteer businesses and organizations who
have the capacity to provide new and exciting experiences outside of the
regular day program model. For example, a bakery can host a cupcake-baking
activity, or a pet-shop can host a learn about animals experience. Kudoz
uses technology to play the role of connector, connecting the participants
with a new pool of volunteers who are eager to help.*

While in Ottawa, we do have examples of ICT innovations for clients, such
as applications for mental health self care, centres with computers that
can be used and perhaps more youth friendly sites there has been a loss of
momentum from some years ago on supporting practical client access and
engagement with ICT in service delivery.

It seems to me that while we have organizational websites *sharing
information outward*, we are not encouraging *Connectivism*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectivism  (conceptualization used by Stephen
Downes <http://www.downes.ca/index.html> and others), which is client
centred or embedded.

It may well be linked to the our own organizational challenges,
understanding and cultures on how to engage in social media and ICT.  It
would help, if we shared more amongst ourselves current projects and
principles that are emerging.

Maybe this is already occurring and it simply needs to be ... *shared*?
*Bill Dare
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>*

November 8, 2015 at 12:56 pm | Categories: Community Development
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/community-development/>
, Healthy Organizations
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/healthy-organizations/>
, Social media knowledge sharing aka "The medium is the message"
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/social-media-knowledge-sharing-aka-the-medium-is-the-message/>
, Uncategorized
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/> |

Comment
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/its-time-for-the-social-sector-to-make-some-real-investment-in-digital-skills/#respond>
   See all comments
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/its-time-for-the-social-sector-to-make-some-real-investment-in-digital-skills/#comments>
   Like
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/its-time-for-the-social-sector-to-make-some-real-investment-in-digital-skills/?like_actor=10795109&like_hmac=f486d9f7b81e7a9215aa5e83b1503e3a&postid=579&like=1&source=sub_email>

Unsubscribe
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=e39a5bab63f87622274b9ef15dce0982&email=bill.dare%40gmail.com&b=L2z.aja7k-Anw%2C%2B6eDqmXv6ptafbrdTSmuStZwZV_eu%7COMCXR>
no longer receive posts from Social & Health Practice Ottawa.
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=e39a5bab63f87622274b9ef15dce0982&email=bill.dare%40gmail.com>
.