[homeles_ot-l] You're invited to CCOC's walking tour

Meg McCallum Meg.McCallum at CCOCHOUSING.ORG
Thu Sep 3 16:15:52 EDT 2015

We hope you can join us!

View this email in your browser<http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1&id=e0bb7e9084&e=f69d45dad3>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1/images/278549eb-21b1-427d-add0-c1c298811e24.png]

Building a Better City
How a group of hippies changed Centretown by creating a
$243 million corporation
Together with Jane’s Walk Ottawa<http://ccochousing.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1&id=67c5dc5a7d&e=f69d45dad3>, CCOC is proud to present Building a Better City: How a group of hippies changed Centretown by creating a $243 million corporation.

Building a Better City is the 2015 edition of our annual tour. Each year, we’ve committed to getting outside to explore CCOC properties and the history of our community either by bus, bike or on foot. This year, we’re walking!
The Tour
Everyone is invited to join us on September 12, 2015. Tours start at 10:30 am sharp. We’ll be meeting up in front of 415 Gilmour Street at 10 am before splitting off into three different groups. These groups will cover three different distances over an hour and a half — but we’ll all end at the same place, 464 Metcalfe Street. We’re hosting a wrap-up party there from 12 pm – 1 pm. All are welcome, even if you can’t make it to the walking tour.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1/images/88296100-64d0-4fe1-b492-ef567b0221cd.png]

Route Options

 *   1.5 km: A nice short walk. You’ll get the stories without the distance. And we’ll take advantage of seating opportunities we find along the way.
 *   2.5 km: CCOC’s early days. This route explores our early days – from the first homes we bought to some of the first buildings we built. Find out about the determination of the committed community members who fought to save Centretown in the 60’s and 70’s.
 *   3 km: A focus on growth. This route includes a baker’s dozen of CCOC-built apartment buildings. Hear about the exciting years of creating new homes – the risks, the politics, and the rewards.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1/images/76e00e08-fc1f-4c9e-9919-fef53efe8e87.jpg]

CCOC tenants and volunteers smiling in the rain during last year's bus tour!

Walk leaders and marshals will guide participants on a tour of CCOC properties and Centretown, stopping to hear stories from various guest speakers along the way. We’ll talk about the history of affordable housing in Ottawa, where we are now, and where we hope to grow in the future. Learn more about your neighbours, and the movement that made Centretown’s residential neighbourhoods possible.

We’ll be walking rain or shine!

Details
When: September 12, 2015
Where: Start – Meet at 415 Gilmour Street, Tours leave at 10:30 am sharp
End – 464 Metcalfe at noon.
Wrap-up party at 464 Metcalfe from noon to 1 pm

Please make sure to register online <http://ccochousing.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1&id=8e274ca847&e=f69d45dad3> or by calling CCOC’s Communications Officer, Erica Butler, at (613) 234-4065, extension 241.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f27f66eb59a182991dd97b6f1/images/442d38dd-5095-4943-9202-dad4e6b04df5.png]

Copyright © 2015 Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation, All rights reserved..

Our mailing address is:
Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation
415 Gilmour Street, Suite 200
Ottawa, ON K1P 5W8