[homeles_ot-l] your support for a Low Income Transit Pass would be appreciated

Trevor Haché trevhache at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:14:20 EST 2016

Good afternoon, members of the Alliance to End Homelessness listserv,
The City of Ottawa is currently studying the possibility of bringing in a
Low-Income Transit Pass, and I was hoping every organization, and
individual, on this listserv might be willing to voice their support for it?

So far, thirty-five organizations (see below) have already voiced their
support by endorsing the campaign, and more than 1,200 individuals have
signed a related petition.

How can you and/or your organization help?
1) simply review the text of the petition at the following website, and if
you support it, please sign it:
http://healthytransportationcoalition.nationbuilder.com/transit_pass_petition

2) if your organization would be kind enough to endorse the campaign,
please have someone e-mail me with your organization's endorsement as soon
as possible (I can be reached at trevhache at gmail.com)

For your information, I have included the wording on the petition below, as
well as the current list of endorsers.

Thank you kindly for your consideration, and all the great work you do.
Sincerely,
Trevor Haché | worker, Healthy Transportation Coalition
www.healthytransportation.ca          Cell: 613-789-0604

*Ottawa Needs a Low Income Transit Pass*

Ottawa has one of the most expensive transit systems in the country, and
lags behind other Canadian cities in ensuring that transit is equitable,
inclusive, affordable, and accessible. Sign the petition below to add your
voice to the call for change!

*To:* the Council and the Transit Commission of the City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON  K1P 1J1

*Whereas, an affordable, inclusive and equitable transportation system
helps ensure safe, healthy communities, people, and a strong economy; and*

*Whereas, the municipalities of Cornwall, Guelph, Halton Region, Hamilton,
Kingston, Peterborough, Waterloo and Windsor have all enacted low-income
public transit passes;*

*Therefore, we, the undersigned, ask that Mayor Jim Watson, Ottawa City
Council, and the Transit Commission work together urgently to enact a
low-income public transit pass in the nation’s capital. The low-income
public transit pass should be designed to benefit all people whose income
is less than the Low-Income Cut-Off, as defined by Statistics Canada.*

*Notes*:

Low-Income Cut-Off (LICO)
<http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/pick-choisir?lang=eng&p2=33&id=2060092> is
an income threshold below which a family will likely devote a larger share
of its income on the necessities of food, shelter and clothing than the
average family. For example, in Ottawa, if a single person’s income is
$23,861 before tax, they are considered low-income. If a family of four’s
income is $44,340 before tax, they are considered low-income.

By signing this petition, I hereby acknowledge that this petition will
become a public document at the City of Ottawa and that all information
contained in it will be subject to the scrutiny of the City, and will be
publicly available. Questions about the collection and disclosure of
personal information contained in this petition should be directed to the
City Clerk, 110 Laurier Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, ON  K1P 1J1.

This campaign has been endorsed by 35 organizations, including Action Sandy
Hill <http://www.ash-acs.ca/>, the Centretown Citizens Community Association
<http://www.centretowncitizens.ca/>, the Civic Hospital Neighbourhood
Association <http://www.chnaottawa.ca/>, the Dalhousie Community Association
<http://www.ottawadalhousie.ca/>, the Glebe Community Association
<http://www.glebeca.ca/>, the Heron Park Community Association
<http://heronpark.ca/>, the Hintonburg Community Association
<http://www.hintonburg.com/>, the Hunt Club Community Organization
<http://hunt-club.ncf.ca/>, the Lowertown Community Association
<http://www.lowertown-basseville.ca/>, the Mechanicsville Community
Association <http://www.mechanicsville.ca/>, the Vanier Community
Association <http://www.ensemblepourvanier.com/en/residents-association.php>,
the Westboro Beach Community Association <http://www.westborobeach.ca/>,
the Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/about-ateh/list-of-members/>, the Centretown
Citizens Ottawa Corporation <http://ccochousing.org/>, City for All Women
Initiative <http://www.cawi-ivtf.org/>, the Coalition of Community Health
and Resource Centres of Ottawa <http://www.coalitionottawa.ca/> (which
includes 13 community health and resource centres), Cornerstone Housing for
Women <http://www.ottawa.anglican.ca/cornerstone/index.html>, Graduate
Students’ Association (GSAED) of the University of Ottawa <http://gsaed.ca/>,
Ottawa ACORN <https://www.acorncanada.org/ottawa>, Ottawa Seniors
Transportation Committee at the The Council on Aging of Ottawa
<http://www.coaottawa.ca/committees/transportation/index-en.html>, Healthy
Active Living and Obesity Research at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern
Ontario Research Institute <http://www.haloresearch.ca/>, Greenspace
Alliance of Canada's Capital <http://www.greenspace-alliance.ca/>, and Walk
Ottawa <http://walkottawa.ca/>.
Please sign here: