[homeles_ot-l] Alliance to End Homelessness - Members / Supporters Update (October 2016)

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Tue Oct 11 08:32:11 EDT 2016

*Members / Supporters Update - October, 2016*​

   - A Way Home Ottawa: Report Launch
   - Let's Talk Housing: Presentations now online!
   - Hometown150
   - Govt of Canada Funding Possibilities: (1) Innovative Solutions to
   Homelessness; (2) Affordable Rental Innovation Fund
   - Invitation: CMHC Tools for Affordable and Innovative Housing (October
   20)
   - November 22 Community Forum (Call for Table Talks)
   - Understanding Veterans Homelessness in Ottawa
   - Alliance AGM Debrief (September 22)
   - From AskMe Ottawa

*A Way Home Ottawa:* Convened by the Alliance, A Way Home Ottawa (AWHO) has
spent the past year listening to youth who are homeless and community
agency staff about how we can better prevent and end youth homelessness in
Ottawa.  On September 27, this work culminated in the launch of initial
findings and recommendations in the report, "*The Opportunity Project:
Telling a New Story About Youth Homelessness in Ottawa*" (links to the
English and French report are available here)
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/a-way-home-ottawa/>. This report outlines
5 key recommendations, aligned with housing first for youth principles,
which ultimately provide a framework of values to build upon as we move
forward in the coming year to develop concrete solutions. Much of the
momentum of our work to date is fuelled by the energy and urgency that the
Youth Liaison Team bring to the table.  These 7 young people, most of whom
have lived experience with homelessness, encourage AWHO to frame youth
homelessness in terms of possibility, not problems.  You can also read more
about the Report in the *Ottawa Citizen
<http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/fix-youth-homelessness-to-keep-adults-from-ending-up-on-street-report-says>*
and Radio-Canada
<http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2016/09/27/010-jeunes-sans-abri-ottawa-logement-itinerance-recommandations.shtml>
.

*Let’s Talk Housing* *- presentations now on-line:* At the September
Alliance AGM, we welcomed a special presentation from Natasha Pateman
(Director, Policy Division, Homelessness Partnering Secretariat, Employment
and Social Development Canada) and Janet Kreda (Senior Researcher, Housing
Needs Research Corporate Development, Policy & Research, CMHC) on the
development of a National Housing Strategy. You can find Natasha Pateman’s
presentation here
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Natasha-Pateman-ESDC-Presentation-Alliance-AGM-Sept-22-2016.pdf>
and Janet Kreda’s presentation here
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Janet-Kreda-CMHC-Presentation-Alliance-AGM-Sept-22-2016.pdf>.
Note that the federal government welcomes hearing from all individuals and
organizations, welcoming you to complete an online survey or to submit
views in writing, by October 21, 2016 <http://www.LetsTalkHousing.ca>.
Together, let’s ensure a national strategy that helps advance our
community’s priorities!

*Hometown150: *Canada’s 150th anniversary is around the corner, and as our
nation’s capital, we aren’t about to let the milestone go by without
celebrating the specific and unique contributions of 150 individuals in
Ottawa – contemporary and historic - taking action in pursuit of our vision
where everyone has an affordable, appropriate home. Hometown150 will
inspire broad community action – an effort by all Ottawa - illustrating the
diverse ways we can each make a contribution to preventing and ending
homelessness. Hometown150 will launch later this Fall; in the meantime, all
are invited to consider: who we should we celebrate as a Hometown150
champion? Have a suggestion? Want to be involved? Looking for further
information? Contact info at endhomelessnessottawa.ca

*Govt of Canada funding possibilities: **(1) Innovative Solutions to
Homelessness:* Two Calls for Proposals are currently open under the
Innovative Solutions to Homelessness funding stream of the Homelessness
Partnering Strategy (HPS). The two calls for proposals are seeking projects
with innovative approaches and ideas that aim to prevent and reduce
homelessness, particularly among Indigenous Canadians, youth, women fleeing
violence and veterans. Stakeholders and organizations are invited to apply
for funding of between $25,000 and $500,000 for projects that aim to test
innovative and promising interventions and practices to prevent or reduce
homelessness in Canada. The call for proposals for Microgrants is open
until October 21, 2016, and for Contribution Projects is open until
November 14, 2016. Further information is available here
<http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1129349>. The Alliance was pleased
to join Minister Duclos in announcing the ISH fund; you can find the
Minister’s remarks here <http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1131599>.

*(2) Affordable Rental Innovation Fund:* The Fund, part of Budget 2016 and
administered by CMHC, totals $200M to help create up to 4,000 new
affordable rental units over 5 years. A Call for Proposals opened on
September 30, 2016. Online applications will be reviewed on an ongoing
basis, and funding announcements will be made every quarter. Details on the
Fund are available here
<https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/inpr/afhoce/afhoce/affordable-rental-innovation-fund.cfm>.
For further information, consider attending the CMHC Information Session on
October 20, noted below.

*Invitation: CMHC Tools for Affordable & Innovative Housing (October 20,
2016, 10:30 am to 12:00 noon):*  In partnership with Broadening the Base,
join Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) for an information
session on CMHC Tools for Affordable & Innovative Housing. You’ll hear from
Vivian Chih, Affordable Housing Consultant, providing an overview of CMHC
SEED Funding & the Affordable Rental Innovation Fund; and from Arlene
Etchen, Knowledge Transfer & Outreach Consultant, who will discuss
resources for accessible & sustainable housing.  Register now – Space is
limited! For details and to register, click here.
<https://guestlistapp.com/events/434370>

*November 22 Community Forum*: In honour of National Housing Day, our
annual Community Forum on Ending Homelessness will take place at the RA
Centre, on Tuesday, November 22.  We’re building a program that continues
the tradition of facilitating dialogue among front-line service and leading
research to improve Ottawa’s response to homelessness. Components include:
a morning keynote address by Mary Beth Shinn (Vanderbilt Univerity)
<http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/bio/marybeth-shinn>, a leading expert on
interventions to end family homelessness; a morning plenary panel
discussion exploring the role of community, and recognizing that home is
more than a house; lunchtime Table Talks; afternoon concurrent research
workshops; and a closing plenary panel, reflecting on the federal
government's directions for a National Housing Strategy. Online
registration for the Forum opens Monday, October 17.

*Table Talks (Community Forum):* Interested in hosting a Table Talk at this
year’s Forum? We are calling all community agencies, organizations, and
local researchers (including students) to lead a noon-hour Table Talk on
issues related to homelessness and affordable housing in our community.
Table talk hosts are asked to contact Ofelia Levoir by email to inquire
about presenting. Ofelia is the Families First Coordinator at PQCHC, and is
a member of the Alliance Research Committee. Ofelia can be reached at the
following email address: ofelialevoir at gmail.com

*Understanding Veterans Homelessness in Ottawa:* The Alliance, in
collaboration with Soldiers Helping Soldiers, has obtained a grant to
undertake a study of veterans’ homelessness in the Ottawa area. With
Elizabeth Hay as Project Manager, we are exploring a number of questions to
better understand the pathways that veterans who are homeless or
precariously-housed have taken since release/retirement from military
service, while also better understanding the scope of veterans’
homelessness in Ottawa.  We are now striking an Advisory Committee to
advise, guide, and assist us with this research. Questions? Write to Mike
for further details.

*Alliance AGM Debrief (September 22):* Over 50 Alliance members, supporters
and stakeholders met on September 22 for the 2015-16 Alliance Annual
General Meeting. We welcomed two new Board members, Louis Lefebvre and
Larissa Silver, while expressing thanks to outgoing Board members, Morgan
Bradley, Graeme Hussey and Stacey Lauridsen. You can find a summary of
activities (Annual Report) from 2015-16 online here
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Annual-Report-2016.pdf>,
and a copy of the 2015-16 Financial Statements here
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AEHO-Final-Financial-Statements-2015-2016.pdf>
.

*From AskMe Ottawa* in September, Sarina Bhaiwala shares how Centre 454 has
become an integral part of the community.
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/centre454/>

--
*Mike Bulthuis*
Executive Director