[homeles_ot-l] Latest (2016) Progress Report on Ending Homelessness in Ottawa released today

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Tue Apr 11 07:52:53 EDT 2017

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

*Latest Progress Report on Ending Homelessness in Ottawa highlights
importance of prevention and appropriate, affordable housing in achieving
10-Year Plan.*

The latest Progress Report on Ending Homelessness in Ottawa was today
released by the Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa. The Report - providing
a statistical overview of homelessness in Ottawa in 2016 (January to
December) – shows *limited progress in some areas, and worsening trends in
others*.

After a record low number of new affordable housing options in 2015, 2016
was considerably better, with *320 new affordable housing options created* –
through new units, and new subsidies. These housing options are critical
components of solutions to homelessness. Many more are needed –
particularly in light of the greater number of individuals and families
accessing shelter.

Overall, 5.2% more individuals stayed at an emergency shelter in 2016
compared to 2015 (a 10.3% *increase from 2014). Increases in homelessness
among some groups – including older women, families and ‘younger youth’ -
are particularly stark.* 2016 saw a 20.1% increase in the number of women
over 50, and a 12.5% increase in the number of families, accessing shelter
in Ottawa.

*Among single men, the average of length of stay declined* for the second
year – representing some success in finding housing solutions, with
services and supports, for some of the shelters’ longest-term single male
residents, and diverting others from becoming homeless.

“It is as important as ever that we evaluate how we are doing,” noted Mike
Bulthuis, Executive Director of the Alliance. “Emboldened by the emergence
of a National Housing Strategy, and by provincial commitments, we have
reason to be hopeful. However, *we need to target new investments to areas
of specific need and ensure our Ten-Year Plan recognizes emerging issues.”*

In looking ahead, the Report suggests that in order to fully achieve the
goals of Ottawa’s Ten-Year Housing and Homelessness Plan, adopted in 2013, *we
need to collectively direct additional attention* to homelessness
prevention; to enhancing the availability of appropriate, affordable
housing; and to ensuring individuals are well supported within housing to
remain stably housed.

The entire Report can be accessed, in English and French (as of 7:45 am) by
clicking here.
<http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/resources/2016-progress-report-on-ending-homelessness/>

--
*Mike Bulthuis*
Executive Director

*Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa*
171 George Street, Ottawa ON K1N 5W5
Office: 613-241-1573 x 314 <(613)%20241-1573>
Mobile: 613-222-9831 <(613)%20222-9831>
--
*Mike Bulthuis*
Executive Director