[homeles_ot-l] Basic Income Pilot announcement coming Man Apr 24th at 9 am

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 19:24:00 EDT 2017

Hi folks,
There will be an announcement by the two Ministers in charge of Basic Income, Helena Jazcek of MCSS and Chris Ballard who oversees the Poverty Reduction Strategy, on Monday morning at 9 am in Hamilton. The Basic Income Pilot will test how Ontario could deliver a 'starter' income to people at the lower end of the income scale.
The invite to the event refers to an announcement "about Basic Income" which could include the entire program or just bits of it. We have been told previously that there would be an announcement very soon and that further details would be in the budget on Thursday. My educated guess is that we'll get the explanation of the pilot plans including where the sites will be (Hello, Hamilton!) and the more global things like the cost will come with the budget.
We know some people who will be attending the announcement and the Steering Committee of the Ontario Basic Income Network, of which I am a member, is preparing to respond to whatever it contains as well as the parts in the budget. My apologies if I've sent this to you more than once - I'm working from different lists to try to get this out as broadly as possible because this is going to be a turning point for income security in Ontario.
Linda. “Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.” - Herman Melville