[homeles_ot-l] Discovery University Fall 2018 Applications

Cortney Peleshok cpeleshok at ottawamission.com
Thu Aug 16 10:31:06 EDT 2018

Hello,

My name is Cortney Peleshok and I am the Program Coordinator for the Discovery University program organized through The Ottawa Mission.  Discovery University is a free, non-credit, university-level program for persons who are experiencing homelessness or living on a low income. Through the study of humanities, the program helps to foster a new sense of citizenship and a commitment to learning and critical thinking. Professors from the University of Ottawa, Carleton University, and Saint Paul University teach the courses on campus at the University of Ottawa.

Discovery University helps to:

  *   strengthen self-esteem and self-confidence;
  *   encourage reflection, critical thinking and problem-solving;
  *   develop communication skills;
  *   develop relationships of mutual respect; and
  *   determine desire for further education.

Our learning environment is:

  *   learner-centered;
  *   participatory;
  *   collaborative;
  *   positive; and
  *   supportive.

Applicants must:

o   be at least 18 years of age;

o   be experiencing homelessness or living on a low income;

o   be willing to learn and study; and

o   have stable mental health and addictions under control.
Student expectations are to:

o   commit to 5-7 hours a week of study (includes 2 hours of class time and 1.5 hours of tutorial time);

o   read the assigned readings before each class;

o   attend weekly class; and

o   be free of alcohol and street drugs when attending.
Discovery University also provides:

o   tutor support;

o   light snacks and refreshments in class; and

o   a hot dinner during tutor sessions.
I am pleased to announce that the Discovery University Fall 2018 application is now available. There will be three courses taught in the Fall 2018 term.  Please note that the deadline for submission is Monday, September 3rd, 2018 at 4:00pm.  I have attached the PDF copies of the application forms and supporting documents.  It is also available through the Ottawa Mission website at https://ottawamission.com/discovery-university-application/

The three courses that will be taught are:

Ethics of the Human Person
What are the challenges for ethics in our so-called "postmodern" culture?   How might we understand "secularism" and "pluralism"?  What ethical challenges do we meet in respect to our sense of identity and self-worth? What is the nature of power, and how might we recognize and make our way with power and "power games"?  What does it mean to take a "moral stand" or to pursue a course of action with integrity?  How do we understand and manage our own moral weaknesses and failures?   What are the moral nuances entailed in the complex assortment of relationships that make up our lives? These and other fundamental questions are at the heart of this introductory course in practical ethics, which will also include insights from Christian ethics.

Introduction to Political Sociology
This course provides an introduction to political sociology. Unlike political science, which
deals mainly with the machinery of government, the mechanisms of public administration, and
the formal political realm of elections, public opinion, pressure groups, and political behaviour,
political sociology is more concerned with power; that is, the given power distributions within or
between societies, and the various social and political conflicts that lead to changes in this distribution.
While most of the course will be taken up with the description, analysis, and explanation of
the modern state, we will also look at issues relating to the sources and utilization of power, authority,
and influence. In this course, we will not merely describe political institutions, but try to

explain how and why they emerged, how they function, and on whose behalf they operate.

Digital Photography

The purpose of this class is to give you everything you need to know about digital photography to make a quality photograph, from camera to digital darkroom to printing. This will include skills in using the camera, lighting, uploading images and printing. With these skills you will be able to photograph people, places and your favourite things. You will be equipped to photograph your world with confidence.

Photography is a great tool for navigating the world. Picking up a camera, though, does not give you permission to photograph anything you want. One needs to know the difference between public and private. Students will learn there are certain protocols for different subject matter. Through learning about the world of photography you will view the world and your place in it differently.

I am wondering if you may be able to circulate the information and the attached application documents throughout your network so that the word gets out for any clients who may be interested in the program.
If you know of any individuals that may be a good fit, please send them an application.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via phone or email.

Thank you and all the best,

[The Ottawa Mission Logo]

Cortney Peleshok

Program Coordinator, Discovery University

T 613.234.1144  x 232 | F 613.234.2813 | cpeleshok at ottawamission.com

35 Waller Street, Ottawa, ON, K1N 7G4

Website<http://www.ottawamission.com/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ottawamission> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/OttawaMission>