[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: [New post] …“I am more than what happened to me, I’m not just my trauma”…

Bill Dare bill.dare at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:59:08 EDT 2018

Bill Dare posted: "Shawn Ginwright's article The Future of Healing:
Shifting From Trauma Informed Care to Healing Centered Engagement, provides
a useful and in depth beacon of how we can take a broader focus in our
alignment of services and individual practice.  It outlines"
New post on *Social & Health Practice Ottawa*
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>
…“I
am more than what happened to me, I’m not just my trauma”…
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/i-am-more-than-what-happened-to-me-im-not-just-my-trauma/>
by
Bill Dare
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>

*Shawn Ginwright's article The Future of Healing: Shifting From Trauma
Informed Care to Healing Centered Engagement, provides a useful and in
depth beacon of how we can take a broader focus in our alignment of
services and individual practice.  It outlines we can make trauma informed
care along with the individual, relevant to families, neighborhoods and
communities, shifting our focus to citizenship.  A kick, to move us out of
silo's of care and take a whole person approach to the recovery model. *

...The term “trauma informed care” didn’t encompass the totality of his
experience and focused only on his harm, injury and trauma. For Marcus, the
term “trauma informed care” was akin to saying, you are the worst thing
that ever happened to you. For me, I realized the term slipped into the
murky water of deficit based, rather than asset driven strategies to
support young people who have been harmed. Without careful consideration of
the terms we use, we can create blind spots in our efforts to support young
people.

While the term trauma informed care is important, it is incomplete. First,
trauma informed care correctly highlights the specific needs for individual
young people who have exposure to trauma. However, current formulations of
trauma informed care presumes that the trauma is an individual experience,
rather than a collective one....

*Please read the article here*: https://medium.com/@ginwright/the-future-of-
healing-shifting-from-trauma-informed-care-to-healing-centered-engagement-
634f557ce69c
*Bill Dare
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>*
| June 13, 2018 at 9:37 am | Categories: Community Development
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/community-development/>,
Income Security & access to the social determinants of health
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/income-security-access-to-the-social-determinants-of-health/>,
Uncategorized
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/>

Comment
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/i-am-more-than-what-happened-to-me-im-not-just-my-trauma/#respond>
   See all comments
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/i-am-more-than-what-happened-to-me-im-not-just-my-trauma/#comments>
   Like
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/i-am-more-than-what-happened-to-me-im-not-just-my-trauma/?like_actor=10795109&like_hmac=02f557bb16faa9059d9c2c96b03c0478&postid=1653&like=1&source=sub_email>

Unsubscribe
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=d836df34e55c01f4052b6b8fe28b5fd0&email=bill.dare%40gmail.com&b=LS9TSMii%5B3CR%7Cpw%3F7JcgWB8WPYA%26Lz%5DvZ5P%2F0B0l%2F0%3Fd%3F2YX%25f0>
to no longer receive posts from Social & Health Practice Ottawa.