[homeles_ot-l] Erase the difference between physical and mental health funding - Please help promote our campaign!

Linda O'Neil loneil at cmhaottawa.ca
Thu Mar 1 11:12:49 EST 2018

Hello everyone,

CMHA Ottawa is seeking your help to promote our Erase the Difference<https://erasethedifference.ca/> campaign, which raises awareness about the critical state of services and funding in the mental health and addictions sector.

For decades, mental health and addictions services in communities throughout Ontario have been chronically underfunded compared to other parts of the health system. Wait times are up. Programs have been cut. People are falling through the cracks.

Ontario currently devotes $3.5 billion of a total $54-billion health budget to mental health and addictions. This means that the mental health and addictions share of the health budget is 6.5 per cent. In 1979, it was 11.3 per cent.

But we're on the cusp of something big. For the first time in a long time, there's widespread acceptance about the urgent need for quality mental health and addiction services. The federal government is providing an unprecedented amount of money for mental health and addictions services. And with the provincial election coming this spring, Ontario's three main political parties all believe it's a key issue.

Now is the time for all Ontarians who have been touched by mental health or addictions issues to make their voice heard. Join us in letting provincial election candidates know that it's time to #erasethedifference and fund mental health and addictions care the same as physical health care

The attached toolkit <https://erasethedifference.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Erase-the-Difference-Partner-Toolkit-FINAL.pdf> contains digital communications material that you can post to your website and social media feeds to help us with our campaign. Please feel free to share with your network.

Thank you,

Linda O'Neil, B. Journalism
Linda O'Neil
Public Education Consultant
Conseillère en éducation communautaire

Canadian Mental Health Association, Ottawa Branch
Association canadienne pour la santé mentale, Section d'Ottawa
301-1355 rue Bank Street, Ottawa, ON    K1H 8K7
Tel: 613-737-7791 Ext. 135     Fax: 613-737-7644   Cell: 613-552-4505
Email: loneil at cmhaottawa.ca<mailto:loneil at cmhaottawa.ca> Website: ottawa.cmha.ca<http://ottawa.cmha.ca/>

[signature bil]