[homeles_ot-l] Heatherington Land Trust public meeting affordable housing

Josh Hawley info at heatheringtonlandtrust.ca
Wed May 2 07:47:10 EDT 2018

PUBLIC MEETING ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING
Saturday May 12 at Heron Road Community Centre
10 a.m.

At the same time we're bringing together local actors to ensure services and affordable housing are developed in our area, Heatherington Land Trust is working with the international experimental participatory planning collective urbz on developing a program of practical collective imagining for the future of our neighbourhood – by residents, for residents. Click here to read more <http://urbz.net/articles/public-consultation-community-land-trust>.
UPCOMING EVENTS:
Jane's Walk on Sunday, May 6 at noon: "Urban Renewal" Again? Displacement in the 21st-Century <http://www.janeswalkottawa.ca/walks/19829> Meet at Heron Road Community Centre
We will start at the Heron Road Community Centre, 1480 Heron Rd, and walk through the entire neighbourhood of Herongate. We'll see the different styles of housing and get a sense of the scale of the area which is controlled by one for-profit landlord. We'll visit the area just demolished where apartment complexes are under construction. We'll see the vacant homes along Heron Road and the next group of townhomes scheduled to be demolished. We'll see Herongate Mall, which has been demolished and turned into box stores, losing our local business in the process. Finally, we'll end at 1770 Heatherington Rd. currently slated for redevelopment, which holds a lot of potential for developing our neighbourhood in accordance with the needs of local residents.
Taste the World on Monday, May 7 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. <https://heatheringtonlandtrust.ca/event/taste-the-world-may-7/> at the Albion-Heatherington Community Centre
Sharing the tastes, history and traditions of culturally-important food. Learn how to cook traditional dishes and share a meal with neighbours!
If you'd like to participate and share your cooking skills, get in touch: info at heatheringtonlandtrust.ca <mailto:info at heatheringtonlandtrust.ca>
Public Meeting on Affordable Housing on Saturday, May 12 at 10 a.m. <https://heatheringtonlandtrust.ca/event/public-meeting-on-affordable-housing/> at Heron Road Community Centre
As a resident-led organization, Heatherington Land Trust is working to permanently hold land in trust to create and protect high quality housing that is affordable to people with moderate or low income. HLT will also promote community economic development, social-cultural services, sustainability, health and green space for the benefit of neighbourhood residents of all ages now and for all future generations.

Heatherington Land Trust exists to preserve the socio-economic character and diversity of the Heatherington-Herongate area, making it an inspiration for residents and nonresidents alike. As a land holder, HLT will ensure diverse community members from the neighbourhood are empowered and have a permanent seat at the table for planning and land-use in Ottawa.

Josh Hawley
Facilitator | www.heatheringtonlandtrust.ca <http://www.heatheringtonlandtrust.ca/>