[homeles_ot-l] Building a Sanctuary City from the ground up: one day conference

Jacqueline Kennelly JacquelineKennelly at cunet.carleton.ca
Thu May 17 14:50:40 EDT 2018

Perhaps relevant to service providers and researchers in the housing and
homelessness sector...

FROM THE GROUND UP: BUILDING A SANCTUARY CITY TOGETHER

Saturday, May 26th, 2018

Jack Purcell Community Centre
9am to 3:45pm, with social event to follow

Every day we witness the fallout of the global crisis of displacement. And
we see how governments too often fail to act - or act to make matters
worse. Federal immigration laws continue to limit access to status and
force people to make life-threatening decisions to seek safety. Ottawa City
Council refused to pass a sanctuary city policy, and cities that have
policies on paper continue to fail people with precarious immigration
status. It's clear that the work of building inclusive and safe communities
for all must begin with us.

We believe that we have the knowledge and the power to do this. In Ottawa
and across Canada, organizers, community members and front line service
providers have been building safer communities through creative strategies
developed from the ground up. Let's bring our collective skills and
experience together to build a sanctuary city from below.

Join us for a day of discussion, learning, and strategizing about:

- Critical Casework: Protecting privacy and access to services
- Border Crossings: Supporting failed asylum seekers
- Building a Culture of Unconditional Access
- Policing and Immigration: Limiting police discretion

Special guests include:
- Ingrid Mendez, Sanctuary Health
<https://www.facebook.com/SanctuaryHealth/>, Vancouver
- Serge Bouchereau, Comité d'action des personnes sans statut
<https://www.facebook.com/Comit%C3%A9-daction-des-personnes-sans-statut-631945366949579/>
(CAPSS),
Montréal
<https://www.facebook.com/octevaw.executivedirector>-Dillon Black, Ottawa
Coalition to End Violence Against Women (OCTEVAW)
<https://www.facebook.com/OCTEVAW/>
- Organizers from Overdose Prevention Ottawa
<https://www.facebook.com/OPOttawa/>
- Lydia Dobson, Criminalization and Punishment Education Project
<https://www.facebook.com/CPEPgroup/>
- Jamie Liew, University of Ottawa

-David Moffette, University of Ottawa

https://www.facebook.com/events/218608018900630/

Childcare is available.

Please register to help us plan meals, childcare and other needs:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVSdiwsAEbXTtkqN09GcxB
-qhewzMcGiRDg5JDSexwjbLeJg/viewform

320 Jack Purcell Ln, Corner of Elgin St.

* The venue is fully wheelchair accessible.

Dr. Jacqueline Kennelly
Associate Professor, Dept of Sociology & Anthropology
Carleton University
Loeb B743, 1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON    K1S 5B6
(+1) 613-520-2600 x8103