[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: [New post] Ontario’s Plan for social assistance reform – criteria based on CPP for ODSP sets back our earlier efforts to “support” people living with a disability

Bill Dare bill.dare at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:48:19 EST 2018

Bill Dare posted: "The reform plan is acknowledged as having valuable
initiatives for the two separate programs of Welfare vs. Disability, yet
the critical point of entry into the Ontario Disability Support Program
uses Canada Pension Plan criteria which rules out episodic "
New post on *Social & Health Practice Ottawa*
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>
Ontario’s
Plan for social assistance reform – criteria based on CPP for ODSP sets
back our earlier efforts to “support” people living with a disability
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/11/27/ontarios-plan-for-social-assistance-reform-criteria-based-on-cpp-for-odsp-sets-back-our-earlier-efforts-to-support-people-living-with-a-disability/>
by
Bill Dare
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>

The reform plan is acknowledged as having valuable initiatives for the two
separate programs of Welfare vs. Disability, yet the critical point of
entry into the Ontario Disability Support Program uses Canada Pension Plan
criteria which rules out episodic and ranges of disability of a person’s
life over time and instead requires an assessment of “permanence.”

After decades of efforts to support advancement and inclusion into Ontario
workplaces an either or approach will now be in place for people
experiencing illness where they will now loose the significant financial
supports of ODSP, approximately $400.00 per month.  Mary Marrone of the
Income Advocacy Centre notes that people currently on ODSP will remain on
it, welfare will soon become a disability program, rather than the
temporary income support for those newly experiencing a disability.

With income being a well-recognized social determinant of health, health
organizations can have a useful role to engage with Ontario government
policy makers to “reform the reform” as the impacts of going back to a
criteria of can or cannot work are ultimately not useful for individual’s
with a disability and the business case and effectiveness of our systems of
care and support.

I’m unsure, who and how this can be approached within the groups and
organizations we work within, but I urge each of us to take a step towards
an action that ultimately advances the people we serve health and
wellbeing.  Please also consider sharing your efforts with us, both big and
small.

If you have time, discussion from both conservative and liberal views
occurred on *TVO’s The Agenda* – with actual dialogue and nuance!

   - See the video here: The PC Plan for Social Assistance
   <https://tvo.org/video/programs/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin/the-pc-plan-for-social-assistance>

*Nov 26, 2018 - 40:29, *The Agenda examines Ontario social assistance
reforms.

   - The Income Security Advocacy Centre is also a critical resource:
   http://incomesecurity.org/public-education/many-questions-few-answers-and-great-risk-for-people-with-disabilities/

*Bill Dare
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/author/socialhealthpracticeottawa/>*
| November 27, 2018 at 11:43 am | Categories: Income Security & access to
the social determinants of health
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/income-security-access-to-the-social-determinants-of-health/>,
Uncategorized
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/>

Comment
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/11/27/ontarios-plan-for-social-assistance-reform-criteria-based-on-cpp-for-odsp-sets-back-our-earlier-efforts-to-support-people-living-with-a-disability/#respond>
   See all comments
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/11/27/ontarios-plan-for-social-assistance-reform-criteria-based-on-cpp-for-odsp-sets-back-our-earlier-efforts-to-support-people-living-with-a-disability/#comments>
   Like
<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2018/11/27/ontarios-plan-for-social-assistance-reform-criteria-based-on-cpp-for-odsp-sets-back-our-earlier-efforts-to-support-people-living-with-a-disability/?like_actor=10795109&like_hmac=aa82bb2e28de367f4c7a4f5f249c010d&postid=1749&like=1&source=sub_email>

Unsubscribe
<https://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=d836df34e55c01f4052b6b8fe28b5fd0&email=bill.dare%40gmail.com&b=LmWFM1b0AwH03LJYX6-kNeVavWG4YHbDGIca5Ugh1qUW6Y7LRnVqGGiY_SgW0_azn9h7AqsL4iLyFp8hz9Q8B0iWeMn-VkMHaOPA3UShLrzRaA%3D%3D>
to no longer receive posts from Social & Health Practice Ottawa.