[homeles_ot-l] Wed. April 29th 1- 4 pm - Social Media Blitz

Alliance To End Homelessness info at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Wed Apr 29 10:51:22 EDT 2020

[image: image.png]

The Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa
<https://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/> is a member-driven non-profit
organization dedicated to seeing an *end to homelessness* in our community.
There are deep challenges that people experiencing homelessness in Ottawa
are facing while trying to stay safe during the COVID-19 crisis.

Today, we are participating in a *Social Media Blitz from 1- 4 pm *to
support the *#Hotels2Homes *campaign. Your social media activity today will
raise the profile of the campaign and help us gain even more public
support.

If you want to help, please join us in doing these three things:

1. *Share why you support the campaign *on social media today. #Hotels2Homes

2. *Send a letter to your Member of Parliament *to let them know you want
them to make #Hotels2Homes a reality here:
https://www.housingemergencyottawa.ca/

3. *Phone the Mayor* to let him know you want to prioritize this issue:
(613) 580-2496

This is an opportunity to share with your networks and connections to keep
the level of urgency high for our political representatives.

We are urging the Federal government for immediate capital funding, as well
as for our municipal and provincial political representatives to act
quickly and decisively to lease and/or purchase hotels for people who are
homeless to safely isolate to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Below are some key messages to use as you engage on Social Media and with
political representatives:

   - In January, Ottawa declared a homelessness emergency after almost *8000
   people stayed in emergency shelters *the previous year.

   - While many factors lead people to become homeless, *lack of affordable
   housing is key.*

   - Ottawa's homelessness emergency has been *amplified by the COVID-19
   pandemic*.
      - *A person cannot physically distance without a home*. At a time
      when having a home has never been more critical to public health, people
      who are homeless are being left behind.

   - Cases have started to be identified amongst the homeless population in
   Ottawa.
      - *If we do not act immediately to relieve overcapacity *by finding
      safe spaces for people who are homeless, COVID-19 could spread throughout
      the shelter system.

Thank you for your concern, urgency, and commitment to supporting people in
our community who are homeless.

*Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa*
171 George Street, Ottawa ON K1N 5W5
info at endhomelessnessottawa.ca