[homeles_ot-l] Monday 19 September Rally

bijoef at gmail.com bijoef at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:52:47 EDT 2022

No house is a home without a steady income source.
Please add this event so that we can work together.

Joe
The Basic Income Ottawa team is planning a rally at the Opening Session of
Parliament  on Monday, 19 September, starting at 9:45 a.m. Please join us
and do let others know.  See below for details.
As you may know, far too many people in Canada live in poverty.  Senator
Croll said more than 50 years ago that it is a cancer in our society which
we should be ashamed of.
About 27% of people living in Ottawa live in poverty  - some well below the
poverty line. It is hard to understand what it must be like to wake up in
the morning and not know  if you will be able to pay for rent and food.
Inflation and the housing crisis only add to the mental strain. Income
security for all is a Basic Right as stated in a number of United Nations
documents that Canada has signed.

One of the events noted at our Basic Income Ottawa meeting was the opening
of the next Session of Parliament.
We are proposing that a presence on Parliament Hill on 19 September would be
a way to emphasize the urgent need for a national Basic Income.
The intention is to bring this to the notice of politicians, the media, and
the general public for action. We should be present to give support to the
Basic Income Bills being considered in the House and the Senate.

To be effective , we need to be visible but courteous and respectful. Let
our signs shout out the messages!

The effort is only worthwhile if we can have at least a dozen people in the
demonstration and hopefully many more. Please let me know by phone or return
email if you know of anyone who may be interested and able to join us at the
corner of Bank and Wellington on 19 September at 9:45 a.m. We will provide
the signs.

Please read the outline below for the rally details.
Joe Foster
613 724 5910

The House is adjourned until Monday, September 19, 2022, at 11:00 a.m. EDT

Demonstration for Basic Income
Plan:
1. Orderly and Courteous
2. Engage only by responding to queries.
3. Meet at corner of Bank and Wellington at 9:45 am and pick up a sign 4.
Proceed to each side of the steps of the West Block 5. At 11 am, we will
proceed to the CBC on Sparks .
6. March down to O'Connor, up to Wellington and back to the corner of Bank
St.
7. Disburse
Note: The signs will be available and if possible, they will be alternately
bilingual.