[homeles_ot-l] post - Community settings as the “primary health setting”

Bill Dare bill.dare at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 05:43:36 EDT 2023

https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.wordpress.com/2023/08/06/community-settings-as-the-primary-health-setting/

Cormac Russell’s
https://www.nurturedevelopment.org/who-we-are/cormac-russell/ talk, *When
Community Itself is Healthy* emphasis’ Health Systems prioritizing asset
based approaches in community neighbourhood development to the *British
Columbia Health Quality Forum*.

   - Shift money from the acute ends of our health systems and move upstream
   - Aim to surround people with an interdependent community
   - Resist social prescribing of individuals, instead focus facilitation
   in the community that surrounds them
   - Make sure we don’t overreach with our institutionalizing of care
   through knowing our place and role in the community
   - Deploy services to recognize the gifts of individuals and neighbours
   in order for the services to be able to work “alongside people” and enhance
   citizenship

<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.files.wordpress.com/2023/08/cormac-russell-plenary-quality-forum-2023-health-quality-bc.jpg>

(image: picture of speaker and title of talk)

Please see the 45 minute talk here:
https://healthqualitybc.ca/resources/cormac-russell-plenary-presentation-quality-forum-2023/

*Safe Communities Determinants (Robert Samson)**How many neighbours do you
know by first name? **How often do you do things together, are you willing
to get involved in the commons, shared community life?*

Associational Life

<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.files.wordpress.com/2023/08/associational-life.jpg>

(graphic: Slide of components)

<https://socialhealthpracticeottawa.files.wordpress.com/2023/08/health-quality-bc-hqbc-stacked-logo-purple.png>