[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: NOTICE: ACORN OTTAWA - Help win a 'Tenant Defense Fund'

Kaite Burkholder Harris kaite at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Mon Oct 23 09:37:22 EDT 2023

FYI:

View in your browser
<https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/view/?reset=1&id=11865&cid=221370&cs=6a8323cddb73fe2a39174bed16f9eb5a_1697760865_168>

Hey Martin,
On Oct 24th, councillors on Community Services Committee can vote for an
Ottawa 'Tenant Defense Fund'- but we need your help!

*What is a Tenant Defense Fund? *

Tenant Defense Funds exist in other cities, such as Hamilton and Toronto,
to provide free legal assistance for tenant groups when going before the
Landlord Tenant Board (LTB). This includes support for challenging
renovictions/demovictions, tenant applications to stop chronic disrepair or
harassment, tenant education/outreach and disputing Above the Guideline
Increases in rent (AGIs).
<https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/url/?u=38510&qid=22648091>

*JOIN THE ONLINE ACTION*
<https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/url/?u=38511&qid=22648091>

*DONATE* <https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/url/?u=38512&qid=22648091>

*Why does Ottawa need a Tenant Defense Fund? *

Existing legal supports for tenants are grossly underfunded and many
programs are forced to limit their services. For example, there are
currently no services in Ottawa offering free legal representation for
tenants to challenge AGIs, meaning most tenants go to the LTB
unrepresented. Meanwhile, landlords are always represented by highly paid,
expert lawyers. A Tenant Defense Fund is one of the essential tools the
City can use to protect affordable housing and keep tenants in their homes.

*An urgent example of how a Tenant Defense Fund could help Ottawa
tenants... *

In late September, tenants of Accora Village were hit with rent increase of
5.5%, which is well above the guideline of 2.5% set by the provincial
government. This will increase tenants' rent by nearly $200! The majority
of tenants have not had any renovations or repairs done to their units to
remotely justify the significant increase in rent. The AGI will only serve
to contribute to the decline of affordable housing in our city.

*Andre Grandpierre (Accora Village tenant & ACORN member): *

*“This AGI is another anxiety to worry about on an already compounding list
of anxieties. With the cost of food, gas, clothing, and everything else
constantly going up, it feels especially exploitative to unfairly raise the
rent on people.”*

*TAKE ACTION NOW!*
<https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/url/?u=38511&qid=22648091>

*Here's how you can help:*

   - *Send a message to Ferguslea Properties and councillors* voting on
   Tuesday using our online action:
   https://acorncanada.org/take_action/tell-greedy-landlords-of-accora-village-to-drop-the-5-5-rent-increase/

   - *Share the online action with your networks*
   - *Call councillors* on Community Services Committee before end of day
   Monday in support of a Tenant Defense Fund -
   https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/council-committees-and-boards/committees-and-boards/standing-committees-commissions-sub-committees-and-other/community-services-committee#
   <https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/council-committees-and-boards/committees-and-boards/standing-committees-commissions-sub-committees-and-other/community-services-committee>
   - *Become a monthly donor* to support local ACORN Tenant Unions across
   the city: https://acorncanada.org/contributions/
   - *Make a one-time contribution* to support our organizing in Accora
   Village as we work with tenants to challenge the AGI (suggested donation
   $50-$500): https://acorncanada.org/contributions/

*Not a member of ACORN? Join
<https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/url/?u=38513&qid=22648091>or
donate
<https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/url/?u=38512&qid=22648091>and be a
part of a grassroots community union!*

Communication Preferences/Préferences de communicationClick here to
unsubscribe from future emails/ Cliquez ici pour vous désabonner des futurs
e-mails:
https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/mailing/optout/?reset=1&jid=55254&qid=22648091&h=194d29b454a8e0e9
 ACORN Canada has offices in BC, AB, ON, QC, NS, NB and has 160,000+
members across the countryACORN Canada National Office -
715B Danforth Ave.
Toronto, ON M4J1L2
Canada

 [image: Facebook]