[Sust-mar] Hear it Like it Was

Anne Rogal anne_rogal at auracom.com
Fri Sep 23 21:22:37 EDT 2005

Hello sust-martimers,
Thought I'd pass this along. Tourism is one of the things we hope will keep our communities ticking down here in Richmond County. It may not be the most environmentally friendly choice but I'm guessing it beats the LNG plant, please correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Hope to see some of you down in our part of the world. Maybe you could carpool? Take the shuttle?
Anne

Atlantic Canada’s Storytelling Festival 2005
www.atlanticstoryfest.com

Richmond County, on magical Cape Breton Island, invites you to enjoy
our first annual Atlantic Canada’s Storytelling Festival taking place
on Friday, September 30 and Saturday, October 1.   Enjoy our region’s
storytelling culture through the tales of renowned storytellers of
Atlantic Canada, including stories of “back in the day” as well as
stories for kids of all ages.  Learn how to take your own family
stories from your kitchen table to the stage.  Experience the art of
new and established artists in the area.

On Friday, the festival kicks off at La Picasse in Petit de Grat, Isle
Madame with stories celebrating our rich Acadian culture and includes
dinner, the storytelling music of Jeanne Doucet Currie as well as stories
by Fr. Dan Doucet and Clara Dugas.  This event starts at 6:00 pm. with cocktails,
with dinner and entertainment beginning 6:30.
For more information and to make reservations, call (902) 226-0149.

The festival continues to St. Peter’s on Saturday at the Lion’s Hall
for an all day and evening festival beginning at 11:00 am.  The
festivities will include stories from the Halifax Storytellers Circle,
as well as the Ghastly Ghost Stories of Newfoundland’s nationally
recognized storyteller, Dale Jarvis.   You will also have a tremendous
opportunity to listen to ‘natural’ story telling by Canada’s most
widely read author, Farley Mowat, on a boat tour in the world famous
Bras d’Or Lakes.  Come and make a day of it enjoying our maritime
hospitality along with magical stories of Atlantic Canada.

Tickets available at St. Peter’s Tourist Information Centre
Richmond Municipal Office (Arichat),
La Picasse, Petit de Grat
or connect at www.atlanticstoryfest.com

Storytelling Schedule

Friday, September 30th,2005
Location: La Picasse, Petit de Grat, Isle Madame
Price: Adults $15.  Seniors $13. Youth $10
emcee:  Deloras Boudreau

6:00 - 6:30pm Cocktails
6:30 - 7:30pm Dinner  Buffet Style
6:45 - 7:45pm Music by Jeanne Doucet Currie
8:00 - 8:30pm Storytelling by Fr. Dan Doucet
8:30 - 9:30pm Storytelling by Clara Dugas

Saturday, October 1st, 2005
Location: Lion’s Hall, St. Peter’s
Price: Adults $10, Senior’s $8 and Children (up to 16) Free

11:30 to 12:30pm :    Storytelling for Senior’s "Wishes and Wisdom -
Tales for a   Gathering." (Liz Newkirk, Bill Matheson
Storytellers)

1:00pm to 3:00pm:    Workshop: Family Stories (Cindy Campbell)

2:00pm to 3:00pm:   Storytelling for the Children
(Claire Miller, Clara Dugas) (all ages, please bring a blanket)

3:00pm to 4:00pm   Visual Arts, Food, and Mingling with Storytellers

4:00pm to 6:30pm:   Folk Tales
(Liz Newkirk, Bill Matheson, Cindy Campbell, Claire Miller)

6:30pm to 7:15pm:  Harolyn J. Gourley  “Spirit of the Story”

7:15pm to 7:30pm:   Break

7:30pm to 8:30pm  Jeanne Doucet Currie (Acadien Music)

8:30pm to 9:30pm:   Dale Jarvis (from NFLD): Ghost Stories

Saturday, October 1st, 2005
Location: St. Peter’s Marina
Price: $30
2:30pm to 5:00pm:   Farley Mowat: Boat Tour and Tales

for more info call:
Richard McIntosh
FESTIVAL & EVENTS COORDINATOR
Destination Richmond Tourism Cooperative
tel  (902) 535-2867
drtcevents at stpeterscable.com