[Sust-mar] Stop Climate Chaos - Harper and Movie

Paul Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Aug 20 01:48:25 EDT 2006

Forwarded from Angela Bischoff

Note: There's a new "must see" documentary on climate change hitting
theatres across Canada in June. "*An Inconvenient Truth*" is
entertaining, hopeful and profoundly moving. It is both a very personal
story and a hard core science briefing. It is often very funny. It is
likely the best public education tool we have ever had on the threat
posed by climate change/global warming. Don't miss it! and tell your
friends.
*-----*
*
*
*Stop Climate Chaos Today!*
from  http://www.ActfortheEarth.org

A Globe & Mail story today reveals the Harper government's intention to
sabotage action on climate change:

*Ottawa now wants Kyoto deal scrapped*
*http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060519.wxkyoto20/BNStory/National/home*

Climate change is a human rights issue. It is already claiming the lives
of 150,000 people around the world every year, and in 1998, over half of
the world's refugees were were displaced by environmental disasters.
Climate change is a peace issue. Our dependence on oil is also at the
root of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan (and would be in Iran as
well, if the West carries out an attack there). As we approach another
potentially deadly hurricane season, and a summer which is expected to
see record temperatures across Canada, Stephen Harper is cutting funding
to climate change programs, trying to scrap the Kyoto Protocol, and
ruling out deeper emissions cuts altogether.
Harper and Minister of Environmental Destruction Rona Ambrose are
calling for a voluntary approach to emissions reductions: in other
words, a continued assault on the atmosphere. At this critical moment
for the climate, we cannot afford to remain silent. Canada is currently
chairing climate talks in Bonn, Germany. Contact Stephen Harper today to
express your outrage at this dangerous new policy direction. While
Harper says we can't cut and run from our "commitment" in Afghanistan,
he's doing exactly that with our commitment to the climate. Your urgent
action is needed.

*PRIME MINISTER STEPHEN HARPER
*House of Commons, Ottawa, Ontario. K1A 0A6
Telephone: (613) 992-4211, Fax: (613) 941-6900, E-Mail:
Harper.S at parl.gc.ca <mailto:Harper.S at parl.gc.ca>

*Minister of Environmental Destruction Rona Ambrose
*House of Commons, Ottawa, Ontario. K1A 0A6
Constituency Office, Phone: 780-495-7705, Fax: 780-495-7741
Parliamentary Office, Phone: 613-996-9778, Fax: 613-996-0785
Email: Ambrose.R at parl.gc.ca <mailto:Ambrose.R at parl.gc.ca>
/You can also give Minister Ambrose your opinion directly at:/ / /
<http://www.ronaambrose.com/form.asp?formID=10&menuID=130>/http://www.ronaambrose.com/form.asp?formID=10&menuID;=130/
<http://www.ronaambrose.com/form.asp?formID=10&menuID;=130>
/
/