[Sust-mar] The Freecycle Network in the Maritimes

Peter Watson pwatson at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Dec 2 16:30:54 EST 2006

Nothing in the sust-mar queue today, so I (Peter) thought I'd fill the
temporary lull in messages with a heads up on the Freecycle Network
which has taken solid foothold in the Maritime Provinces. In a nutshell,
Freecycle is nonprofit movement of online people who are giving (&
getting) stuff for free in their own towns, and therefore keeping stuff
out of the landfill. I've been making great use of Halifax Freecycle
recently to get rid of extra stuff that I no longer need, such as
leftovers from home projects, old computer and electronic items that
either work or could work with a bit of skilled tinkering, old records
and cd's, and much more.

There are now 11 Freecycle communities in Nova Scotia, eight in New
Brunswick, and one in Prince Edward Island. The largest is Halifax with
over 4800 members and the smallest is in Edmunston with 16 members.
Anyone interested can find or join one near your town by visiting:

http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=Canada  .

Here's some more information from the Freecycle home page:

    Welcome!

The Freecycle Network^(TM) is made up of many individual groups across
the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people
who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local
group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership
is free. To sign up, find your community by clicking on the region on
the left.  Can't find a group near you? You might want to consider
starting one (click on "Start a Group" for instructions). Have fun!

The Freecycle Network was started in May 2003 to promote waste reduction
in Tucson's downtown and help save desert landscape from being taken
over by landfills. The Network provides individuals and non-profits an
electronic forum to "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can
truly be another's treasure!

    How does it work?

When you want to find a new home for something -- whether it's a chair,
a fax machine, piano, or an old door -- you simply send an e-mail
offering it to members of the local Freecycle group.

Or, maybe you're looking to acquire something yourself. Simply respond
to a member's offer, and you just might get it. After that, it's up to
the giver to decide who receives the gift and to set up a pickup time
for passing on the treasure.

Our main rule: Everything posted must be free, legal, and appropriate
for all ages.

Non-profit organizations also benefit from The Freecycle Network. Post
the item or items you want to give away and specify that you wish the
gift to go to a nonprofit cause. It's entirely your choice! It's a free
cycle of giving. The Freecycle Network is incorporated as a nonprofit
organization and is tax-exempt under the IRS 501(c)3 ruling.

    Who can use The Freecycle Network?

Think globally, recycle locally. The Freecycle Network is open to all
communities and to all individuals who want to participate. Freecycle
groups are moderated by local volunteers from across the globe who
facilitate each local group - grassroots at its best! Tell a friend
about Freecycle^(TM)! <http://www.freecycle.org/emailLink.php>

http://www.freecycle.org/